Instructor, Nursing (Nursing Skills Lab Coordinator)Position Type:
Tenure TrackPosition Code:
1Pay Rate (or Annual Salary):
$79,804 - $115,062/annualFLSA:
Chabot College, 25555 Hesperian Blvd., Hayward, CA 94545Department:
Health, Kinesiology and AthleticsJob Summary:
The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District is seeking to fill an Instructor, Nursing (Nursing Skills Lab Coordinator) for Chabot College in Hayward, California.Representative Duties :
The positions report directly to the Division Dean.
The Chabot College Community
The Chabot Nursing Program has been open for over 50 years and in that time, the college has graduated over two thousand Registered Nurses that are working both locally and across the United States. We proudly boast an NCLEX-RN pass rate of 95-100% for over the last 10 years and were ranked the #1 Program in California in both 2020 and 2021 for the Annual Nursing School Program rankings list by RegisteredNursing.org.
Chabot College is committed to educational equity in its academic programs and college services so that students may achieve their personal, educational, and career goals. Our nursing program acknowledges the structural and systemic racism embedded in our society, education, and healthcare and, in response, we firmly commit to exposing and eradicating racism by reasserting diversity, equity, and inclusion as one of our nursing program’s core values. We pledge to foster a climate that is inclusive and welcoming of all students and faculty and work extremely hard to graduate a strong and compassionate nurse.
Our equity work today builds upon a strong history: the Puente and Umoja programs were first created at Chabot College, and have since been replicated across the state. These programs have paved the way for a series of additional educational and student support programs intentionally focused on equity that thrive at Chabot College today. Chabot College is located in Hayward, California, the third most diverse city in the United States. We serve a highly diverse student population and are proud to be designated as a Hispanic Serving Institution. Information about the demographics of our campus community can be found https://www.chabotcollege.edu/ir/index.asp.
Serving our diverse community requires a culturally-responsive approach that recognizes the myriad strengths and assets that our students bring to the campus community. We do so by promoting a classroom and co-curricular learning environment that is inclusive, collaborative, engaging, and challenging, and where respect, dignity, and integrity are core values. We see students as producers of knowledge, not just consumers of knowledge. We work to reframe inequities as a problem of practice, and view the elimination of inequities as an individual and institutional responsibility.
Joining Our College Community
We seek equity-minded applicants who demonstrate they understand the benefits diversity brings to an educational community. We look for applicants who:
1. Value and intentionally promote diversity and consciousness of difference
2. Demonstrate cultural humility and an ongoing desire to improve cultural competence
3. Are dedicated to addressing issues of social justice
4. Accept their shared role and responsibility in addressing opportunity and achievement gaps experienced by students
5. Have experience and success in closing student equity gaps and engaging in equitable practices, or are knowledgeable and enthusiastic about implementing practices that achieve these goals
6. Actively seek to identify, disrupt, and remove institutional and/or systemic barriers that adversely impact historically marginalized communities
7. Empower the underrepresented and underserved
8. Foster students’ potential to become global citizens and socially responsible leaders
9. Believe that all people have the right to an education and work environment free from fear, harassment, or discrimination.
1. Provide instruction in accordance with established Chabot College approved curriculum and course outlines for medical surgical nursing in theory and clinical practice.Minimum Education and Experience:
2. Maintain currency in the field of medical surgical nursing, and application of QSEN.
3. Familiarity with simulation techniques for medical surgical applications.
4. Familiarity with electronic charting requirement.
5. Ability to work the required full-time schedule including office hours.
6. Inform students about course requirements, evaluation procedures, and attendance requirements.
7. Supervision of students in a clinical setting and skills lab.
8. Ability to develop, maintain and evaluate curriculum and student ability to meet program standards.
9. Willingness to participate in professional development, student and other educational activities in accordance with the college policy.
10. Effectively teach and communicate with students of diverse backgrounds.
11. Develop and maintain, and evaluate curriculum.
12. Interact with faculty and staff in areas of instruction and participate in the development of instructional methods, technology, student learning outcomes and materials.
13. Prepare and grade class assignments and evaluations based on nursing program standards.
14. Post and maintain adequate and regular office hours in accordance with prevailing policy.
15. Participates in campus/college activities, serves on committees, and attends faculty meetings.
16. Demonstrates sensitivity to and an understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical and/or learning disabilities.
17. Coordinate hours of student use of skills labs: post skills lab availability hours and ensure that sufficient time is available and students are checked off using standardized criteria.
18. Coordinate, monitor, and participate in the tutoring and testing of student skills; supervise student performance in clinical skills.
19. Serve as a resource to students for practice sessions in the skills laboratories.
20. Order, maintain, and provide security for supplies, materials, and equipment at assigned lab; receive, assemble, and test new equipment; maintain, clean, and test equipment; arrange for repairs and replacement as necessary; inventory materials and equipment; store, discard, and rotate material according to procedures.
21. Assist Faculty with monitoring students involved in skills lab class activities; evaluate student skill competency in the lab; ensure student compliance with lab policies, procedures and, safety precautions.
22. Prepare clinical skills guidelines and procedures check off sheets utilize in evaluating students; revise as necessary.
23. As directed by faculty, tutor and assist students needing remediation or makeup; notify nursing faculty of difficulties students may be experiencing with regards to skills; provide updates on student progress.
24. Tutor students in math for medications; maintain practice math for medication quizzes and worksheet with keys for student use; prepare, administer, and grade math challenge and other exams for advanced standing students.
25. Instruct topics as assigned, prepare associated materials.
26. Assist in the preparation of the simulation lab for scenario development and training of students.
1. Appointment to this position contingent upon approval by the California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN). 1425.1 and 1424(g).Minimum Qualifications:
2. Associate Degree in Nursing or higher degree from an accredited college or university with 6 years of recent clinical experience or Bachelors of Nursing with 2 years recent clinical experience.
a. Degrees in Progress: To be conferred on or before January 1, 2024 will be considered, provided that the applicant also submits (1) an up-to-date transcript, (2) a photocopy of the degree requirement from the school catalog, and (3) proof of current course(s) and enrollment. Please provide your explanation and background material by using the optional document upload called “Other Document”. If you are unable to upload the above, please upload a document in its place and state you will be sending the documents to the Office of Human Resources, 7600 Dublin Boulevard, 3rd Floor, Dublin, CA 94568, by 5:00 p.m. (PST) on the closing date.
3. Completion of at least one year’s experience teaching courses related to medical surgical nursing clinical practice and experience in assisting and evaluating students in a clinical skills lab.
4. Applicant shall hold a valid, active license issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing. Required to upload a copy of the license front and back.
5. Current American Heart Association Healthcare Provider CPR Card. Required to upload a copy of the signed card, front and back.
6. Current immunization records for PPD, Titer reports for MMR, Varicella, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C. Immunization record for TdaP. N95 mask fit test as required by area hospitals.
You will be required to upload your transcripts. You must upload all applicable transcripts, credentials and/or certificates required to meet minimum qualifications for the position for which you are applying. Any degrees earned outside the United States must have an official US evaluation (course by course) of the transcripts and must be submitted with the application. In the case that the file you are uploading is too large or you do not have your transcripts readily available, please upload a document in place of stating you will be sending the documents to the Office of Human Resources, 7600 Dublin Boulevard, 3rd Floor, Dublin, CA 94568, or by fax (925) 485-5254, by 5:00 p.m. (PST) on the closing date.
Degrees in Progress: To be conferred on or before January 1, 2024 will be considered, provided that the applicant also submits (1) an up-to-date transcript, (2) a photocopy of the degree requirement from the school catalog, and (3) proof of current course(s) and enrollment. Please provide your explanation and background material by using the optional document upload called “Other Document”. If you are unable to upload the above, please upload a document in its place and state you will be sending the documents to the Office of Human Resources, 7600 Dublin Boulevard, 3rd Floor, Dublin, CA 94568, by 5:00 p.m. (PST) on the closing date.
Applicants applying under the “Equivalent provision” must provide details that explain at time of application how their academic preparation is the equivalent of the degree listed above. Please provide your explanation by using the optional document upload called “Equivalency Statement”.
Evidence of a sensitivity to and an understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical or learning disabilities.Desirable Qualifications:
1. Experience in assisting and evaluating students in a clinical skills lab.Job Work Schedule:
2. Experience teaching undergraduate course related to nursing skills and procedures;
3. Knowledge of major theoretical frameworks with preference to having experience and/or familiarity with the application of the Roy Adaptation Model;
4. Demonstrate respect for the rights and needs of students;
5. Demonstrate respect for staff, colleagues, and the teaching profession;
6. Communicates effectively, both in written and oral form.
7. Current in the field and application of QSEN;
8. Experience with simulation;
9. Equivalent experience and /or education as determined by the Board of Registered Nursing.
This position is full-time, tenure track, beginning Spring 2024. Employment will begin on or about January 1, 2024.Physical Demands and Working Environment :
Must be able to stand for over 6 hours and function as a registered nurse.Posting Number:
INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES WHO ARE UNABLE TO CARRY OUT THE PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES OF THE POSITION WILL RECEIVE REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS TO ENABLE THEM TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION.
09/29/2023Open Until Filled:
YesSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
The Board of Trustees has updated Board Policy 7330 to incorporate information on COVID vaccination requirements, which are currently suspended. Accordingly, employee(s) must comply with the Board Policy found at:Notification to Applicants:
Any subsequent updates can be found here: http://districtazure.clpccd.org/urgentalerts/index.php.
The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District reserves the right to close or not fill any advertised position.Instructions for Personal Qualifications Statement:
The purpose of the personal qualifications statement is for you to provide information on how your education and experience relate to the requirements and duties of the position. There is no form to complete. Applicants are requested to provide their personal qualifications statement by uploading a document, the same way as you do for your cover letter.EEO Statement:
It is the policy of this District to provide equal opportunity in all areas of employment practices and to assure that there shall be no discrimination against any person on the basis of sex, ancestry, age, marital status, race, religious creed, mental disability, medical condition (including HIV and AIDS), color, national origin, physical disability, family or sexual preference status and other similar factors in compliance with Title IX, Sections 503 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, other federal and state non-discrimination regulations, and its own statements of philosophy of objectives. The District encourages the filing of applications by both sexes, ethnic minorities, and the disabled.