Present Position Number:
FP043WRole Code Title:
Professional/Lecturer (Staff)Position Title:
Senior Associate Dean, Finance & Administration, A&SUnit Mission Statement:
Under the leadership of the Dean, the office of the Dean of the Faculty of Arts & Sciences provides a voice for the Faculty of the Arts & Sciences; strives to meet the needs of individual departments and programs; promotes excellence across Arts & Sciences as a whole; and represents the priorities of Arts & Sciences to the larger university community.Position Summary:
Reporting to the Dean of the Faculty of Arts & Sciences, the Senior Associate Dean for Finance and Administration serves as the chief fiscal and administrative officer for A&S and is the principal financial advisor to the Dean and the Dean’s leadership team. The Senior Associate Dean leads and coordinates A&S non-academic functions, including finance (>$110M budget including gifts and grants), department and program administration (50+ units), human resources (600+ FT faculty and staff), and data/information resources; and supervises the administrative staff in the Dean’s office.Required Qualifications:
As the chief fiscal officer, the Senior Associate Dean works closely with the Dean and others to develop and implement A&S fiscal strategy and policy to ensure financial sustainability, responsible and equitable resource allocation, and excellent stewardship of gift funds – all aligned with and in support of the A&S mission. In addition, the Senior Associate Dean oversees the development and provision of information resources and tools to facilitate decision-making on matters from staffing to sustainable curriculum to compensation and merit.
As the chief administrative officer, the Senior Associate Dean works to ensure the effectiveness and efficiency of A&S administrative operations by assessing and continuously improving organizational structure and delivery of support services; providing training, guidance, and support for department and program fiscal and administrative staff; and consulting with department and program leaders about staff recruitment, responsibilities, and performance.
- Master’s degree and/or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Significant relevant experience, (typically ten or more years) including financial and operational leadership responsibilities in a college or university, or comparably complex environment
- Significant business and financial acumen, including financial modeling, reporting, and analytical skills
- Ability to develop, oversee, and report on budgets to support responsible resource allocation and management
- Ability to synthesize and present information/data to facilitate effective decision-making.
- Demonstrated commitment to working with a diverse population of faculty, students and staff, as well as a commitment to professionalism with a customer service focus
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders at all levels
- Proven leadership skills with significant people and project management experience
- Demonstrated experience in organization analysis and strategic planning and commitment to continuous improvement
- Working knowledge of human resource management, including position development, recruitment, and performance management
- Dedication to and understanding of the liberal arts mission of the Office of the Dean of the Faculty of Arts & Sciences
Advertised Pay Range:
- Significant experience in higher education administration and finance.
- Experience working with a diverse constituency of faculty, staff and university administrators.
- Knowledge of Commonwealth of VA state university policies
Commensurate with experience.University Salary Range:
3K1100 Dean of Arts & Sciences OfficeLocation:
William & MaryIs the position remote work eligible?:
Hybrid (works remotely at least 1 day per week but not full-time)Remote Work Disclaimer:
Remote work eligibility is not guaranteed and is subject to approval. Employee eligibility depends on the likelihood of the employee succeeding in a remote work arrangement and the supervisor’s ability to manage remote workers. Departments and/or Human Resources may amend, alter, change, delete, or modify eligibility.Job Open Date:
09/12/2023Job Close Date:
10/03/2023Open Until Filled:
Full Time ProfessionalFLSA:
12 Month - ContinuingSpecial Application Instructions:
Please include a list of professional references and contact information – attached under “Applicant Documents”, Attachment 1 field. The Search Committee will confirm with the candidate before contacting any references. Conditions of Employment:
William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The university is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.Background Check Statement:
William & Mary is committed to providing a safe campus community. W&M conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.Benefits Summary Statement:
William & Mary offers our employees a full array of benefits including retirement, health insurance with options for expanded dental and vision along with group and optional life insurance with coverage for spouse and children, flexible spending accounts, and an EAP (Employee Assistance Program).
Our employees enjoy additional university benefits such as educational assistance, professional development, wellness benefits, and a robust holiday schedule. All employees have access to fitness facilities on campus. Staff members also have access to the university libraries, and much more. To learn more, go to: https://www.wm.edu/offices/hr/currentemployees/benefits/index.php