: Management/ ExecutiveSubscribe:
: Graduate SchoolLocations:
: Binghamton, NYPosted:
: Sep 13, 2023Closes:
: Open Until FilledType:
: Full-timeRef. No.:
: 01700Position ID:
About Binghamton University:
Binghamton University is a premier public R1 research institution in the State University of New York (SUNY) system that unites more than 130 broadly interdisciplinary educational programs with some of the most vibrant research in the nation. Our unique character - shaped by our mission, outstanding academics, facilities, and community life - promotes extraordinary student success, research, and service; Binghamton University is where our students, faculty and staff thrive.
Working at Binghamton University is more than about having a great job - it is about having the opportunity to flourish in an exciting, engaging environment. Our faculty and staff appreciate Binghamton's collegial and inclusive culture and its commitment to excellence, education, innovation and civic engagement. Our diverse campus community contributes to our success.
Binghamton merges rigorous academics, distinguished faculty, exceptional staff, and ultramodern facilities to engage and challenge its 18,000+ students. The high-achieving Binghamton student body also represents a great diversity of life experiences, from first- generation college-goers to international students. Beyond their talent, these classmates share a desire to shape the future through technology, insight, intellectual exploration, and community service.
We are an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and in keeping with this commitment, we welcome all to apply, including veterans and persons with disabilities.
Budget Title: Dean (Graduate Studies) (MP-2, Management/Confidential)*
Binghamton University invites nominations and applications from members of the Binghamton University faculty for the position of Vice Provost and Dean of the Graduate School. The University is seeking a creative and ambitious leader with a record of scholarly accomplishment and experience in graduate education. Candidates should be tenured full professors who can work with the president and provost to revitalize the Graduate School in order to advance the University's goal of expanding graduate offerings, increasing graduate enrollment, and strengthening graduate education. The rethinking of how graduate education and recruitment is managed at BU will be a significant part of the new Vice Provost & Dean's job, and they will have the full support of the provost in realizing a shared vision for its future. This is a full-time professional, management confidential position.
The Vice Provost and Dean of the Graduate School will provide leadership to ensure that Binghamton maintains outstanding quality in doctoral education, develops and supports a robust portfolio of professional masters' degrees, prepares outstanding future faculty, and continues to advance best practices in graduate education. The Vice Provost and Dean will aid the University in achieving its ambitious goals for increasing graduate enrollment while strengthening its programs, leading development of new programs, increasing diversity among its graduate student population, enhancing campus services, and supporting an active intellectual culture for graduate students. To achieve these goals the successful candidate for the position of Vice Provost and Dean of the Graduate School will:
- Articulate a vision for a successful structure and mission for the graduate school, including its possible support of postdoctoral students at BU;
- Participate in a rethinking of graduate recruitment and admissions, as well as data gathering about both operations to inform the campus and invest resources optimally;
- Participate in and support the development of innovative new stand-alone and transdisciplinary graduate programs designed to strengthen the University's presence in graduate education; serve as the incubator for academic programs that cross unit boundaries;
- Work effectively with deans, faculty, and staff at the State University of New York (SUNY) system and the State Department of Education to gain approval for new programs;
- Partner with others to increase recruitment and retention of graduate students, including current undergraduate students;
- Partner with others to develop online degree programs;
- Create innovative new programs for graduate student professional development;
- Work with academic programs to assure that graduate students graduate in a timely fashion, well-prepared for the many aspects of their careers;
- Provide leadership for academic program review;
- Implement best practices to enhance student diversity and inclusion;
- Partner with others to implement strategies to procure internal and external funds for graduate student support;
The Vice Provost and Dean of the Graduate School reports directly to the Provost and is a key member of the Provost's senior staff, providing leadership for all aspects of graduate education at Binghamton University. The VP and Dean chairs the Graduate Council, supervises the Graduate School staff, directs the academic program review process, provides leadership for effective graduate program development, supports the recruitment and success of both domestic and international students, with attention to the needs of underrepresented and first-generation graduate students, and is a champion for excellence and innovation in graduate education.
- Faculty appointment at the rank of Full Professor
- Extensive experience in the education and supervision of graduate students
- Experience managing change processes and the people skills necessary for achieving change;
- Understanding of the needs and opportunities of Ph.D., masters, and professional master's students and programs across the range of disciplines at BU;
- Superior communication skills, including listening;
- Strong analytical skills to project and manage enrollments, to gather data about effective recruiting practices, and to oversee reporting on graduate education to the campus;
- Demonstrated administrative and leadership skills, including the ability to work with complex structures like those at the State University of New York (SUNY) system and the State Department of Education (NYSED)
- Sensitivity and respect for the diverse academic cultures on campus
- Commitment to diversity with an understanding of best practices for recruiting and supporting underrepresented student groups
- An operating style that is both consultative and decisive
- Ability to frame issues in ways that promote resolution and problem-solving
- A willingness to admit mistakes and learn from them
* Management/Confidential appointments serve at the pleasure of the President and are not represented by a union.
Offers of employment may be contingent upon successful completion of a pre-employment background check and verification of degree(s) and credentials.
Binghamton University is a tobacco-free campus.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com
Payroll information can be found on our website https://www.binghamton.edu/offices/human-resources/payroll/
Cover letters may be addressed "To the Search Committee."
Postings active on the website, accept applications until closure.
For information on the Dual Career Program, please visit:
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
The State University of New York is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. It is the policy of Binghamton University to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, or arrest and/or criminal conviction record unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
As required by Title IX and its implementing regulations Binghamton University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in the educational programs and activities which it operates. This requirement extends to employment and admission. Inquiries about sex discrimination may be directed to the University Title IX Coordinator or directly to the Office of Civil Rights (OCR). Contact information for the Title IX Coordinator and OCR, as well as the University's complete Non-Discrimination Notice may be found here.
All applicants must apply via Interview Exchange: https://binghamton.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=167441
Review of application materials will begin on October 15 and will continue until the position is filled. Nominations, inquiries, and applications, including letter of interest, curriculum vitae, and the names of four references should be uploaded to: http://binghamton.interviewexchange.com/login.jsp
If you have any questions or would like to recommend a candidate, please contact:
Senior Staff Associate for the Executive Vice President & Provost and Office Manager
You may add additional files/documents after uploading your resume. After you fill out your contact information, you will be directed to the upload page. Please login to check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents: http://binghamton.interviewexchange.com/login.jsp.