Support StaffClassification Title:
College Support ServicesPosition Title:
Library Associate IPosition Number:
O00480Pay Grade Level:
Minimum rate of $17.27Department:
S 121301225Full or Part Time:
Part TimeNumber of Months:
During the academic year, excluding summer and term breaks:Basic Function:
Sunday – 10:00 am – 3:00 pmTuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday – 9:00 pm – midnightSaturday – 4:00 pm – midnight
Perform a variety of library duties requiring judgment in the application of policies and procedures within the access services area, involving superior service to library users, use of library automation systems, various software packages, conventional and digital library media equipment, materials and office equipment. This is an entry-level library staff position.Essential Job Functions:
Perform public service and/or technical processing duties that involve crucial knowledge of library policies and procedures.
Primary Patron Services:
Primary Technical Operations
- Identify and respond to user needs; provide preliminary basic screening and initial service users and refer unique/complex situations to a higher level for action
- Contribute to the department’s programs, goals and objectives related to quality, user satisfaction and image through teamwork, cooperation, suggestions and personal productivity and conduct.
- Provide initial screening for patron problems with library computer equipment and software programs provided on public access computers.
- Enter fundamental information into online systems, search simple, identifiable records, and/or check in/out materials, and generate reports from present parameters using library automated system modules.
- Assist with materials processing for course reserves, interlibrary loan or other library operations.
- Apply basic knowledge computer hardware operations and of limited number of software packages such as email, print and electronic document processing or specialized application used by the department.
May cover rotating shifts at service desks, and implement established procedures during emergencies or unusual situations.
Perform other duties as assigned.Minimum Qualifications:
High school diploma or equivalent and one year of relevant work experience; equivalent combination of college and work experience.Preferred Qualifications:
Two years of library staff experience, or a combination of some college and one year of work experience.
Our preferred candidate will have:
- Technical knowledge to provide initial screening for patron problems with library computer equipment and software programs provided on public access computers.
- Good organizational skills, ability to follow through on problems and good oral and written communications skills a must.
- Ability to apply established guidelines, policies, procedures, standards, regulations, practices, and/or laws in order to perform operations and resolve problems, including protecting user privacy.
Must be able to navigate the library. This position is responsible for opening and closing the building.Contact(s):
Must be able to push heavy book trucks weighing approx. 50 lbs.
Human ResourcesContact Phone/Extension:
09/22/2023Open Until Filled:
YesSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
Please provide as one of the required documents, contact information for three (3) work-related references including name, address, phone number and email address.Additional Information:
Candidates applying by September 22, 2023 will be assured full consideration. Position open until filled.Denison University Background Check Statement:
The final candidate will undergo a background check as a conditional offer of employment.Denison University EEO Statement :
Denison University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To achieve our mission as a liberal arts college, we continually strive to attract and hire candidates
with diverse backgrounds, experiences and identities. Denison fosters a campus community that
recognizes the value of all persons regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender expression and
identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or socio-economic background. For
additional information and resources about diversity at Denison, please see our commitment to
inclusion, diversity, equity and antiracism (IDEA) at Denison Forward.
If you require a reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please contact the Human Resources Department at (740)587-6299 or by email at HR@denison.edu.