Faculty Research Analyst, Business Economics and Public Policy, Wharton School
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn's distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America's Best Large Employers in 2023.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.Posted Job Title
Faculty Research Analyst, Business Economics and Public Policy, Wharton SchoolJob Profile Title
Database AdministratorJob Description Summary
The successful candidate will support research by Professors Arthur van Benthem, Susanna Berkouwer, and Shing-Yi Wang in economics of energy and the environment and/or development economics. There are several open positions. Examples of recent projects include: efficiency losses from imperfect environmental policies, energy efficiency adoption, personnel economics, fuel economy standards, infrastructure construction, migrant labor markets, pass-through and market power in the context of solar subsidies, hurricane insurance, and housing market issues.
You will join Wharton's Department of Business Economics and Public Policy (BEPP) and become part of a cohort of predoctoral research fellows. BEPP offers many opportunities for personal and professional development through learning new technical skills, attending seminars, and taking courses. In some instances, predoc RAs have become co-authors of academic papersJob DescriptionJOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities include performing a variety of statistical and econometric analyses, cleaning and analyzing data, writing research reports, conducting background research and literature reviews, identifying and obtaining secondary data, coding survey questionnaires, and managing field activities. Independent thinking, a thorough understanding of economics or related disciplines, an ability to manage work flows on multiple projects, and self-motivation are highly valued in performing these functions.
This is a challenging opportunity for an early-career professional who is passionate about social science research and has a strong desire to expand and deepen skills in economic research and quantitative data analysis. You will work closely with Professors van Benthem, Berkouwer and Wang, who will provide supervision on research and offer mentorship on academic development more broadly. You will also be encouraged to be an active part of the research community, within the BEPP department and in relevant Wharton research centers. We anticipate that the successful candidate would work in this position for 1 or 2 years, before going on to graduate programs or careers in Economics, Public Policy, or another quantitative social science.QUALIFICATIONS
SALARY & BENEFITS
- BA/BS in Economics, Statistics, or a related quantitative discipline;
- Previous experience as a research analyst or conducting independent research using statistical software such as STATA or R is preferred;
- Ability to analyze data and write reports;
- Self-directed, intrinsically motivated; capacity to manage work independently and organize workflows across multiple projects.
This is a full-time position based in Philadelphia, starting on July 1, 2024
. This position is eligible for full Penn vacation and sick leave accrual. Annual salary is commensurate with experience within the range of $55,000 - $60,000 plus benefits. For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: https://hr.wharton.upenn.edu/benefits/
. Remote work may be possible for a temporary period.HOW TO APPLY
For the application to be considered complete, please submit a brief cover letter, explaining your interest in the position, a cv, and all your academic transcripts. We will review applications on a rolling basis; the deadline to apply is December 1, 2023
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination based on race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class. The University of Pennsylvania values diversity and seeks talented students, faculty, and staff from diverse backgrounds. Women, minority candidates, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
We will also consider applicants who are not yet authorized to work in the United States.ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
Wharton's Business Economics and Public Policy Department is an applied microeconomics department that has been an innovative force in research, teaching, and public service. Areas of faculty expertise include energy and environmental economics, development economics, industrial organization, experimental and behavioral economics, public and urban economics, and gender and discrimination. Our faculty have held presidential appointments on federal regulatory commissions, held research appointments and fellowships in government and not-for-profit think tanks, and serve on the boards of many corporations.
The Wharton Climate Center supports cutting edge research, provides thought leadership, and brings together stakeholders from academia, government, and the private sector to design smart public and private sector policies related to topics such as climate change, renewable energy, air and water pollution, waste disposal, biodiversity, and deforestation. See https://esg.wharton.upenn.edu/centers-labs/climate-center/
Penn Development Research Initiative (PDRI) projects focus on various aspects of international development including education, health, governance, environment, gender, urbanization and migration, labor markets, poverty, and economic growth. Through regular seminars, conferences, collaborative research projects, and dissemination activities, PDRI makes it possible for faculty and graduate students at Penn to expand their efforts to conduct research that advances science and contributes to the improvement of well-being in developing countries. See https://pdri.upenn.edu
.Job Location - City, State
Hybrid Eligible - This position is eligible for a hybrid work schedule with a work week divided between working onsite and working remotely.Department / School
Wharton SchoolPay Range
$43,919.00 - $56,000.00 Annual Rate
Salary offers are made based on the candidate's qualifications, experience, skills, and education as they directly relate to the requirements of the position, as well as internal and market factors and grade profile. Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.Special Requirements
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.University Benefits
- Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family's health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
- Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn's Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
- Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family—whatever your personal needs may be.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you're newly hired, you won't have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
- Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That's why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
- Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
- University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University's libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There's always something going on at Penn, whether it's a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you're right in the middle of the excitement—and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
- Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
- Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
- Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
- Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay
To apply, visit https://wd1.myworkdaysite.com/en-US/recruiting/upenn/careers-at-penn/job/Vance-Hall---3rd-Floor/Faculty-Research-Analyst--Business-Economics-and-Public-Policy--Wharton-School--Hybrid-Eligible-_JR00062485
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency