The Department of Economics at Occidental College invites applications for a tenure‐track Assistant Professor in Macroeconomics with appointment to begin August 2024.
The department has a special interest in hiring a scholar with expertise in macroeconomics, monetary economics, financial economics, or political economy and comparative economic systems. Occidental College is a national liberal arts college recognized for its diverse student body, its commitment to academic excellence and equity, and its undergraduate research programs. Candidates must be committed to outstanding teaching and productive scholarly activity.
Summary of Duties, Responsibilities and Goals
The successful candidate will teach five courses annually (a 2:2 load in the first year), including a selection of classes that could include first-year writing seminars, introductory economics, intermediate macroeconomics, or other upper-division electives in the candidate’s area of macroeconomics expertise.
We value interdisciplinary connection to other programs. Our faculty are also expected to contribute to and participate in the life and development of the department, advise students, serve on faculty governance committees, and participate in the broader college and disciplinary communities.
All faculty are eligible for a pre-tenure leave in the fourth year, pending favorable review and a one-semester sabbatical every fourth year after tenure.
- Ph.D. in Economics or related field or expected completion of the degree requirements by August 2024.
- Demonstrated commitment to and excellence in undergraduate teaching.
- A record of, or potential for, scholarly research and publication.
Expected Salary Range: $96,000 - $105,000
If you are offered this position at Occidental College, your final base salary compensation will be determined based on factors such as skills, education, experience, and/or geographic location. In addition to those factors, Occidental complies with applicable pay equity laws and considers internal equity among current employees when developing the final offer. Please keep in mind that the range mentioned above is the base salary range for the role. Hiring at the maximum of the range would not be typical in order to allow for future and continued salary growth.
You must submit a complete application package electronically to be considered. To apply, please submit the following materials through the link below:
- Cover Letter expressing your commitment to academic excellence at Occidental, a diverse liberal arts college
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of research interests and plans for research work
- Teaching Philosophy Statement that includes your areas of teaching interest and pedagogical approach to designing courses
- Sample of scholarly work
- Teaching tallies/evaluations, if available
- Commitment to Inclusive Excellence Statement
- This statement provides your unique perspective on your past and present contributions to and future aspirations for promoting justice, equity, inclusion, and diversity in your professional career. This should include your demonstrated commitment to, past evidence of, and future plans for creating equitable opportunities for learning and mentoring especially for students from marginalized and minoritized groups. The purpose of this statement is to help the department identify candidates who have professional experience, intellectual commitments, and/or willingness to engage in activities that could help the College contribute to its mission in these areas.
- Three confidential letters of reference
Please direct all questions about the position to: Jasmine McKay at email@example.com or call (323) 259-1393.
To be assured full consideration, your application materials must be received by November 17, 2023 (9 pm PST).
Occidental is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not unlawfully discriminate against employees or applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, breastfeeding or related medical condition, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic characteristic or information, military and veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. Occidental is strongly committed to increasing the diversity of the campus community and the curriculum, and to fostering an inclusive, equitable, and just environment within which students, staff, administrators, and faculty thrive. Candidates who can contribute to this goal through their teaching, research, advising, and other activities are encouraged to identify their strengths and experiences in this area. Individuals advancing the College’s strategic equity and justice goals and those from groups whose underrepresentation in the American professoriate has been severe and longstanding are particularly encouraged to apply.
Expected Salary Range: $96,000 - $105,000. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Moving expense reimbursement (up to $5000, taxable according to current IRS regulations), start-up funds, and a one-course reduction of teaching load in the first year are provided. A comprehensive benefits package is available that includes: excellent health, dental, life, and retirement benefits; tuition benefits for the employee, spouse, domestic partner, and dependents; additional extras including use of gym facilities and the College Library. For a detailed description of benefits, please visit https://www.oxy.edu/offices-services/human-resources/benefits-information.
All qualified applicants will be considered for employment, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
Occidental College is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with qualifying disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the application or employment process, please contact Human Resources.