The Director of Esports/Head Coach is responsible for providing ethical leadership in starting and managing all aspects of a competitive esports program including, but not limited to, meeting or exceeding goals related to the recruitment and retention of academically and athletically qualified student-athletes and training student-athletes for success through practice planning, strategy development, and skill instruction in preparation for competition under the auspices of the National Association of Collegiate Esports (NACE).
- Promote Franciscan ideals and adherence to the Mission of the University as demonstrated by the University Ideal Characteristics. As we are an equal opportunity employer committed to Franciscan values, all employees share responsibility for advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in the performance of their roles while demonstrating: service orientation, respect for all, intellectual curiosity, solution focus and innovation, and mutual accountability.
- Design, implement, and execute a comprehensive recruiting strategy and plan that will identify, recruit, and retain academically and athletically qualified student-athletes in accordance with all university admissions standards and procedures; meet or exceed annual established recruiting goals.
- Ensure commitment to the academic success of the esports student-athletes, including monitoring academic progress and attendance and involving appropriate academic support resources when necessary.
- Foster a positive environment where student-athletes can learn, grow, and reach their potential; serve as a mentor, advisor, positive role model, and exemplar of good character and integrity; monitor discipline and conduct of student-athletes to foster personal growth and ensure adherence to community standards and appropriate codes of conduct/expectations.
- Maintain appropriate records and paperwork and ensure program (head coach, assistant coaches, student-athletes, etc.) compliance with all university, Middle Atlantic Conference (MAC) and NACE policies, rules, and regulations.
- Design and implement a formal communication plan that includes regular meetings with student-athletes, assistant coaches, and appropriate administrators.
- Work with the Coordinator of Equipment & Operations and the Director of Athletics for budget/purchasing planning to ensure a balanced budget annually.
- Esports is a key element of Alvernia’s Reading CollegeTowne initiative, a strategy and model for championing economic redevelopment in downtown Reading. As such, this position will also be responsible for the management of the Esports Suite, including development and coordination of community outreach programming and use, identifying and fostering partnerships with local schools and community organizations, and developing relationships with potential sponsors.
- Other administrative duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics, informed by the experience and expertise of the candidate and departmental needs.
- Commitment to the mission statement, core values and goals of Alvernia University.
- Bachelor’s degree and successful experience as a student-athlete and/or coach is required. Master’s degree and college head coaching experience is preferred.
- Knowledge of and experience working with multi-player online video games is required. Preference will be given to applicants who have competitive and/or coaching experience in Rocket League, League of Legends, and/or Overwatch.
- A demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with student-athletes, coaches, athletic trainers, and athletic administration. Commitment to be a good colleague and team player.
- Demonstrated problem-solving, strong leadership, communication, organizational, and team-building skills/capabilities; ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks/projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Commitment to fostering a positive student-athlete experience where safety, health, and well-being of student athletes is paramount.
- Attendance is required in order to perform the duties of this job.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift 15 pounds at times.