Job no: 520597
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Provost's Office
Categories: PSU A
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Coordinator of Instructional Design and Faculty Support supports faculty and staff to develop and deliver high-quality distance instruction through the effective and innovative use of technology. This position receives functional guidance from a Senior Coordinator and reports to the Manager of Instructional Design and Support.
- Guides, coaches, and trains faculty to understand the appropriate technological and pedagogical tools to facilitate on-line learning and interaction between students and faculty.
- Provides support for on-line faculty and staff in their development of pedagogical approaches, instructional strategies, and technical skills. Provides technical support to design and produce high-quality credit and non-credit courses and other educational programs for a variety of disciplines for delivery through distance education media. Draws on knowledge of and integrates a range of technical resources and interactive information delivery systems into the design of on-line programs.
- Develops, coordinates, and delivers training for faculty and staff in the effective instructional use of on-line Learning Management Systems (LMS) as well as a large range of established and emerging educational technologies. Trains and supervises project technical staff, helps desk staff and student employees in the use of the LMS and general distance learning protocol procedures.
- Provides ongoing support to faculty, students, and registration office prior to, during, and after instruction periods. Ensures that courseware is of the highest standards at the start of instruction and designed following industry best practices. Collaborates with UMassOnline technical staff to implement, administer, and maintain the UMass Amherst LMS.
- Participates in the development, implementation, and ongoing review and revision of policies, standards, documentation, and processes to ensure on-line courses meet standards of excellence and consistency.
- Works as part of a team to provide planning, design and technical facilitation services for distance education activities. Assists and coordinates the daily operations of UMass Amherst’s growing on-line program. Builds and maintains productive and positive faculty and staff relationships campus-wide.
- Performs related duties as assigned or required to meet Division and University goals and objectives.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s Degree plus two (2) years’ experience in design and development of technology-based instructional content across a broad range of disciplines, integrating graphic, text and audio elements in multi-media learning materials.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills. Ability to proofread, edit, and produce effective written materials and presentations.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and public relations skills. Must possess a customer-service driven and team-oriented approach.
- In-depth technical knowledge of online Learning Management systems used in higher education (e.g., Moodle, Blackboard, Canvas, Desire2Learn) or similar systems.
- Comprehensive knowledge of instructional design theories and methodologies, cross-platform networks, creating and editing webpages and websites.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience, work independently and/or with multiple constituencies, speak or make presentations before groups, conduct effective training.
- Must be a self-starter and be able to manage time and multiple projects simultaneously, set priorities, accomplish goals, and meet deadlines.
- Strong skills in IT, visual presentation designing and developing clear instructional materials in written, graphic, audio, video, or multimedia form, with creativity and attention to detail.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Master’s Degree in Education, Communications, Instructional Design, Educational Media, Educational Technology, or a related field, plus one (1) year experience in design and development of technology-based instructional content across a broad range of disciplines; integrating graphic, text and audio elements in multi-media learning materials.
- Supervisory experience.
- Experience working with instructors in a higher education environment.
- Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m., some nights and weekends required.
- This position has the opportunity for a hybrid work schedule, which is defined by the University as an arrangement where an employee’s work is regularly performed at a location other than the campus workspace for a portion of the week. As this position falls within the Professional Staff Union, it is subject to the terms and conditions of the Professional Staff Union collective bargaining agreement.
PSU Hiring Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with the application, please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three (3) professional references. The search will remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, caste, creed, sex, age, marital status, national origin, disability, political belief or affiliation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related condition(s), veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, genetic information, natural and protective hairstyle and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Sep 11 2023 Eastern Daylight Time