IT Help Desk Technician
For full details and to apply, go to https://jobs.miracosta.edu/postings/3802
Type of Assignment:
Two regular, full-time positions, 40 hours per week, 12 months per year on the Oceanside campus. The work schedule for one position will typically be Monday through Friday, 7:30 am - 4:00 pm. The work schedule for the other position will typically be Monday through Friday, 11:30 am - 8:00 pm. The person selected for each position will be subject to assignment to any district facility during any hours of operation.The first-level interviews with the screening and interview committee will be conducted via Zoom. The second-level interviews may be in-person or via Zoom.RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT:
MiraCosta College Board Policy 7800: Employee Residency requires all classified staff, administrators, and temporary/hourly short-term employees to maintain and permanently reside in a principal place of residence in the state of California that is within two-hundred (200) road miles from the employee's regularly assigned district worksite. The purpose of the policy is to promote efficiency and continuity throughout all campus administrative functions, provide students with high quality assistance and accessibility to all academic and campus services, ensure that students receive an engaging education, and respond to emerging student needs.
The District may consider an individual request to temporarily reside outside of the State of California or outside the 200-mile limit on a case-by-case basis, not to exceed twelve consecutive months.
Starting at $59,647 per year (range 17, step 1), with annual salary step increases up to step 5. In addition, after five years of district service, employees earn a longevity stipend that increases over time.
Employees must make arrangements for the direct deposit of paychecks into the financial institution of their choice, via electronic fund transfer.
MiraCosta College offers an array of benefits to eligible employees.
Position Term in Months:
- The district pays 100% of the cost of medical, dental and vision insurance for eligible employees and dependents
- $100,000 life insurance policy
- Up to $250 of benefit credits per month to help pay for a variety of voluntary benefit options, such as supplemental life insurance, disability coverage, and health care/dependent care flexible spending account (FSA)
- Vacation, sick leave, and up to 18 paid holidays
- State pension system retirement benefits (CalPERS)
- Free and confidential employee assistance program
- Wellness Program
- Participation in the District’s Early Retirement Program
- Professional Development Opportunities
- Tuition fee reimbursement
- Childcare Facility (Oceanside Campus)
In order to be considered for this position, you must submit the following documents directly in the online system and finish applying and receive a confirmation number by 11:59 PM on the closing date:
1. Application on which you list all relevant experience.
2. A current resume or curriculum vitae summarizing your educational background and experience.
3. A cover letter addressed to the “Screening and Interview Committee” specifically describing how your experience aligns with the Essential Duties, Other Duties, and Desirable Qualifications.
The screening and interview committee will review application materials for up to three to four weeks following the closing/first screening date. Applicants selected for interview will be contacted by phone; those not selected for interview will be notified by e-mail once interview candidates have been scheduled.
Offer of employment to the person selected for this position is contingent upon 1) successful completion of a pre-placement physical exam at district expense; 2) submission of a current tuberculosis test clearance; 3) proof of eligibility to work in the United States; 4) fingerprint clearance; and 5) approval by the Board of Trustees.
Retired STRS members are not eligible for this position.
Under general supervision, plan, organize and provide IT help desk services including first contact technical assistance involving computers and mobile device software and network connectivity; route helpdesk technical support trouble tickets to appropriate Information Technology Services (ITS) staff; respond to requests for information and support regarding student services programs, policies and other matters; provide back up support to the employeehelp desk; and perform related duties as assigned.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this class.
1. Exhibit an equity-minded focus, responsiveness, and sensitivity to and understanding of thediverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnicbackgrounds of community college students, and employees, including those with physicalor learning disabilities, and successfully foster and support an inclusive educational andemployment environment.
2. Provide first point of contact to operate and oversee processes for logging incomingrequests via phone, email or chatroom; triage student and employee requests followingestablished procedures and perform a wide range of corrective actions or route to otherdepartments or ITS staff for resolution.
3. Identify and determine the severity of problems, troubleshoot and apply a full range ofcorrective actions, and initiate support tickets to appropriate ITS staff members to resolveissues; maintain problem-resolution plans; track problems to technical resources; keepusers updated on problem-resolution status; evenly distribute support tickets to ITS staffmembers.
4. Provide technical support to students having problems with campus online systems, software, connectivity, remote access and computing devices; ensure IT help desk service during standard hours of operation as well as high-demand periods including enrollment, the beginning of a new term, or broad implementations such as new or system upgrades; keep users updated of problem-resolution status.
5. Develop, edit and update the IT Help Desk website; develop and maintain aknowledge base of frequently asked questions and training tools in Chatbot and on thewebsite.
6. Maintain working knowledge of online campus systems as well as their respective policiesand procedures; attend training sessions as needed.
7. Respond to requests for information from students, employees, and the public regardingdistrict and student support programs, policies, procedures and regulations; assist studentsand employees with completion and electronic submission of applications and forms; checkstatus of course pre-requisites, status of payments and waivers and other issues impactingstudent accounts.
1. Document all user requests by creating a knowledge base of past problems and solutions.
2. Compile information, make computations, establish and maintain files.
3. Prepare a variety of narrative and statistical reports, records, and summaries.
4. Perform related duties as assigned.
1. Operations and functions of a help desk, including help desk software and functionality.
2. Extensive knowledge of the district’s student and employee information systems.
3. Personal computers (district standard software and hardware), web/internet (software, webpages/HTML), common browser operations and email.
4. Customer service and telephone techniques and etiquette.
5. Standards, methods, practices and techniques for troubleshooting and triaging system,computer software/hardware problems and device errors and failures applicable to assignedhelp desk responsibilities.
6. Basic operating systems, characteristics, commands and components applicable to theDistrict’s computer platforms.
7. Basic practices and methods of systems and procedures for establishing networkconnectivity.
8. District organization, operations, policies and objectives including basic functions andprocedures of student services departments and support programs at all District campuses.
9. Applicable copyright rules and regulations.
10. Modern recordkeeping and office practices, procedures and equipment.
11. Basic math.
12. Applicable sections of the state education code and other applicable laws including privacy(FERPA).
13. Safety policies and safe work practices applicable to the work.
14. Written and oral communication skills including correct English usage, grammar, spelling,punctuation and vocabulary and basic technical writing.
1. Troubleshoot hardware, software and network connectivity issues on multiple operatingsystems and computing devices and provide routine technical support.
2. Obtain accurate and complete information from customers, telephone, email, and Chatbotto identify their needs and problems and develop responses, solutions and referrals.
3. Analyze problems, evaluate alternatives and make sound recommendations.
4. Respond calmly, tactfully, efficiently and creatively to a variety of students, faculty, staff andadministrators in a high demand environment with many interruptions.
5. Assist students with basic student services activities or provide referrals to appropriatedepartment to resolve issues.
6. Learn new computer and technical support information quickly and convey it to others.
7. Plan and prioritize projects and work independently with directions from supervisor.
8. Maintain confidentiality of District, employee and student files and records.
9. Understand and follow oral and written directions.
10. Multi-task and prioritize projects.
11. Interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
12. Prepare reports by gathering and organizing data from a variety of sources.
13. Maintain a variety of files, records and statistics.
14. Perform basic arithmetic calculations.
15. Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
16. Operate a computer and standard business software.
17. Demonstrate sensitivity to and understanding of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural,ethnic and disability issues.
18. Establish and maintain effective working relationships with all those encountered in the course of work.
Education & Experience:
To be eligible for this position, you must meet and provide evidence of the following minimum qualifications:
Graduation from high school or GED equivalent, and at least one year of responsible experience in the operation of computer help desk services that involves providing user support; or an equivalent combination of training and experience. An associate degree is preferred.NOTE: For work experience, one “year” is defined as equivalent to 40 hours per week for 12 months, or at least 2,080 hours.
Licenses & Other Requirements:
- Previous experience in a Help Desk setting.
- Previous experience working with computer systems and applications related to a Help Desk setting.
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively with the public, in a higher education setting, over the phone, email and chat system.
A valid California driver’s license and the ability to maintain insurability under the district’svehicle insurance program.
The physical efforts described here are representative of those that must be met by employees to successfully perform the essential functions of this class. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Primarily sedentary with intermittent standing, walking, bending and stooping; occasional light lifting and carrying of objects weighing up to 25 pounds; ability to travel to a variety of locations on and off campus as needed to conduct district business.
Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships involving interactions and communications personally, by phone and in writing with a variety of individuals and/or groups from diverse backgrounds on a regular, ongoing basis; ability to work effectively under pressure on a variety of tasks concurrently while meeting established deadlines and changing priorities.
Primarily business office environment; subject to frequent contact and interruption; intermittent exposure to individuals acting in a disagreeable fashion; may work at any district location or authorized facility during day and/or evening hours with occasional evenings and/or weekends on an as-needed basis. Occasional local travel may be requested.
Human Resources Contact Information:
firstname.lastname@example.org or 760.795.6854
Job Close Date:
Open Until Filled:
First Screening Date:
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
MiraCosta College is committed to creating a racially just campus climate. Individuals and their diverse cultures and identities are welcomed, nurtured, and validated. MiraCosta College takes institutional responsibility for closing the equity gap for disproportionately impacted populations including Latinx and Chicanx communities, Black and African American communities, Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander communities, Native American communities, lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, queer/questioning, intersex, and asexual (LGBTQIA+) communities, veteran communities, former foster youth, adult students, and students from low socioeconomic statuses. MiraCosta will continue to serve all constituents with values rooted in equity, diversity, inclusion, and community.MiraCosta College’s Mission, Vision, Commitment, and Institutional Values & Goals – https://pa-hrsuite-production.s3.amazonaws.com/3050/docs/105281.pdf
About MiraCosta College
MiraCosta College is one of California's 115 public community colleges. The district operates two campus sites and two centers, and offers a robust online education program. Situated between San Diego and Los Angeles, MiraCosta College benefits from multicultural influences and cultural opportunities. Both students and staff enjoy a friendly atmosphere and the feeling that we are all here to help one another. MiraCosta College is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. For more details, please visit our website at https://www.miracosta.edu/office-of-the-president/board-of-trustees/_docs/3400BP-Diversity-Equity-Inclusion.pdf
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency