Office of ResearchCriminal Background Check:
Standard Background CheckMotor Vehicle Background Check:
NoStatement of Economic Interest:
Not ApplicableJob Category:
Administrative or Professional FacultyRole (State) Job Title:
Director, CINA DHS Center of ExcellenceWorking Title:
Director, CINA DHS Center of ExcellenceJob Type:
Commensurate with education and experience.Web Announcement:
Director, CINA DHS Center of Excellence
George Mason University’s Research and Innovation Initiatives Office invites applications for the Director, CINA DHS Center of Excellence. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
About the Department:
The George Mason University Criminal Investigation and Network Analysis (CINA) center is looking for an enthusiastic and energetic person for the position of Director, CINA DHS Center of Excellence. CINA’s primary objective is to serve an academic hub for thought leadership and for the emergence of novel solutions to support the Homeland Security Enterprise in its efforts to effectively predict, detect, identify, monitor, track, disrupt, thwart, and ultimately dismantle Transnational Criminal Organizations (TCOs) and other illicit actors. The Center is part of the Office of Research Innovation and Economic Impact and is funded by a DHS multi-year, multi-fund grant.
About the Position:
The CINA Director is responsible for the strategic direction and operational execution of the center, and the Director is ultimately responsible for all center activities. The Director manages the activities of the center, works directly with the sponsor (DHS) and manages other relationships, secures continued and new funding for the Center, and leverages the Center’s strengths to further university growth and excellence. The Center’s main activities are research, education and workforce development, and communication/outreach. The Director leads a team of 8-10 staff, to include a Deputy Director with an operational focus. This position is essential in maintaining daily and long-range program success. The CINA Director must be a US Citizen and eligible for a US Government Security clearance.
- Lead the strategic direction, planning, staffing, and operational activities of the Center;
- Manage the operations of the Center through direct supervision and collaboration with the Deputy Director;
- Serve as interface/liaison between the DHS program management team, stakeholders, researchers, university leadership, other DHS Centers of Excellence leadership, and Center operational staff;
- Lead interaction with the CINA Board of Directors (BoD);
- Lead interaction with the CINA Scientific Advisory Committee (SciCom);
- Lead development of the annual RFP, project evaluation, project selection, and research portfolio contents;
- Directly supervise wage, student wage, GRA’s or other support staff if necessary;
- Work with the Center staff and other Center leadership to organize DHS centers of Excellence Summit as needed; and
- Lead the development and implementation of the Center’s Year 10+ sustainability strategy and operational plan.
Required Qualifications / Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Terminal degree in related field.
- Knowledge of data analysis and network discovery and modeling techniques and research challenges; and
- Skill in conveying complex scientific research to applied domain practitioners (e.g., law enforcement analysts and investigators).
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- Knowledge of criminal investigative processes and law enforcement operations;
- Knowledge of transnational criminal organization operations and structures, and research into same;
- Skill in evaluating and managing multi-domain scientific research proposals and projects; and
- Skill in establishing and executing a strategic plan for a domain-specific multi-institution research center and US Government sponsor.
For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.For Full Consideration, Apply by::
06/28/2023Open Until Filled?:
NoMason Ad Statement:
Great Careers Begin at Mason! Equity Statement:
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report “Up and Coming” spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Mason’s diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.Campus Safety Information:
Mason’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available at http://police.gmu.edu/annual-security-report/