Responsible for the presentation and service of the food at the point of service. The assignment will be unit-specific for a retail location, catering, and board operations. Keep counter clean, and attractively merchandised. Communicate with culinary staff to ensure that menu items are available throughout the serving period and replenished as necessary to maintain food quality and visual appeal.
This position works with considerable independence and self-direction. Only the general direction and scope of the work to be accomplished are discussed with the supervisor.Career Band:
Typical Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assists the Management staff with all aspects of the dining and catering program.
- Ensure proper timing, quality, and consistency of all dining and catering events.
- Develop, supervise, and train new dining and catering staff on a continual basis.
- Develop a safe work environment and culture with accountable processes to ensure workplace safety to limit staff injuries.
- Ensure food safety and sanitation (HACCP) standards are followed and maintained.
- Oversees and assists with ordering proper non-food supplies and ensuring those items are properly stored and utilized to reduce the waste stream.
- Supports management team in reducing food waste and supply waste.
- Ensures that University and Departmental policies and procedures are followed.
- Follows the motor vehicle laws of the state of Tennessee.
- Must be able to lift 25 lbs on a routine basis and greater weights with assistance.
- Other duties as assigned.
Prescribed, established procedures are primarily used to perform the essential functions of this position.Machines & Equipment Used:Equipment in an institutional kitchen; Combi ovens, Chargrill, Fryer, Kettles, Food processors, Griddle, Hot hold, Cold hold, Induction cookers, Steam table lines, Propane grill, Dish machine, Tray return conveyor system, Beverage machines, Floor cleaning machine, Various knives, Cutting boards, Slicers and, DicersBudgetary Responsibility:
None.Personal Interaction/Communication:Student Contact: Regular interaction with student diners and other members of the campus community, including guests and alumni.Internal: Limited interaction.External: Limited interaction.
Attributes of a Successful Candidate
High School Diploma or GED preferred.
2 years of food service experience or over 2 years of customer service experience preferred.
Licenses & Certifications:
- Time management skills,
- Ability to work and stand for long periods of time,
- Bend at the knees,
- Make repetitive hand movements,
- Lift objects up to 25 lbs and more with assistance.
Servsafe food handler certification must be obtained within six months of the hire date.Supplemental Information
Related personnel informationWorking Environment:
High volume kitchen, remote catering event sites, catering sites can be outdoor/indoor events in all types of weather, heavy equipment, cold storage, hot storage, sometimes slippery floors, loading docks, and truck beads, high volume fast-paced work environmentPhysical Requirements:
Any additional requirements specific to this position:
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time,
- Must be able to walk for extended periods of time,
- Must be able to lift between 21-50 pounds (Medium work),
- Must be able to carry between 21-50 pounds (Medium work)
The University of the South, commonly known as Sewanee, comprises a nationally ranked residential College of Arts and Sciences and a School of Theology. The University is strongly committed to the values of intellectual inquiry, diversity, equity, and inclusion, and living and serving in community. Situated on 13,000 acres atop Tennessee’s Cumberland Plateau, Sewanee is known for its stunning natural beauty while providing easy access to Chattanooga, Nashville, and Huntsville. The University is affiliated with the Episcopal Church and seeks to help employees of all backgrounds and identities flourish. DEI Institutional Statement:
- Pay: $15.00/hour
- Staff will be expected to work late night shifts and weekends:
- Full-year position with periodic shutdowns.
At the University of the South, our commitment to inclusion and belonging is grounded in our core values of community, courage, flourishing, and inquiry. We seek to build a community enriched by our diversity and centered on equity, justice, mutual respect, and shared responsibility.Equal Employment Opportunity:
The University of the South is an equal-opportunity educational institution that is committed to creating and maintaining a diverse and inclusive campus environment.