The Office of Institutional Compliance and Internal Audit (OICIA) at Chapman University is seeking a full-time Director of Internal Audit (Director). The Director, who reports to the University’s Chief Compliance Officer (CCO), is responsible for leadership and comprehensive oversight of the Internal Audit function, including establishing the annual audit plan and managing and performing operational, financial, and compliance audits that evaluate the effectiveness and efficiency of processes and controls within various functions across the university.
The Director will lead the planning and execution of operational, research, information technology, and financial audits and advisory services to determine risks, evaluate the effectiveness of internal controls, and assess compliance with regulations, policies, and procedures. The annual audit plan development process is a multi-phased collaborative approach that seeks input from key stakeholders within the university to identify operational, reputational, strategic, financial, and compliance risks. In consultation with the Chief Compliance Officer, the Director works closely with the Audit Committee of the Board of Trustees. The Director supervises an Audit Analyst and student employees in OICIA.
- Knowledge of professional internal auditing standards associated to the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) International Professional Practices Framework (IPPF)
- Knowledge of internal control principles and concepts
- Knowledge of general accounting theory and business management
- Skilled in tactfully communicating audit issues and recommendations with various levels of management in order to achieve consensus and evoke change
- Skilled at using technology to analyze large data sets and trends to draw conclusions and synthesize such information for others to understand easily
- Skilled with working independently or in a team environment
- Ability to maintain objectivity and independence when conducting audit related work
- Ability to make presentations to various levels of management and other key stakeholders
- Ability to lead projects to completion with limited or no instructions
- 7-9 years of demonstrated progressive experience and responsibilities within an internal audit department within non-profit, governmental, private and/or public accounting
Desired additional qualifications
- Relevant professional experience in or with (for example, as a public accountant) an accredited not-for-profit higher education institution
- CPA, active or inactive
This role has the potential for a hybrid work arrangement according to Chapman’s flexible work guidelines. The target salary range for the role is $150-190,000 depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate. The full position description can be viewed here.
Chapman University is a private, coeducational institution. Its mission is to provide personalized education of distinction that leads to inquiring, ethical, and productive lives as global citizens. The primary academic and residential campus is in Orange, CA, south and east of Los Angeles. The Rinker Health Science Campus is in Irvine, CA. Chapman’s enrollment is approximately 10,000 students, 7,656 of them undergrads and 2,345 grad students. The university employs approximately 1,100 faculty and 750 staff. Chapman became an R2 Carnegie Classification university, denoting “high research activity,” in 2019. In FY 2022, Chapman’s total revenue surpassed $450M, including $34.2M in research expenditures, $11.1M of it from federal sources. FY2022’s research expenditures more than doubled the FY2017 figure.
Chapman University has retained Opus Partners (www.opuspartners.net) to support this recruitment. Craig Smith, Partner, and Chris Stadler, Associate, are managing the search process. Confidential inquiries, applications, and nominations should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. In order to interview with representatives of Chapman University, candidates must formally apply via Opus Partners and must provide a resume, a cover letter, and a statement of contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Please consult Opus Partners for more information about the application process.
Chapman University is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community. The University is dedicated to enhancing diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruitment and employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, military and veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. The University is committed to achieving a diverse faculty and staff and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply.