The Janitorial Supervisor at DePaul University is responsible for overseeing the daily cleaning and maintenance operations of the university's facilities. This role plays a crucial part in maintaining a safe, clean, and welcoming environment for students, faculty, staff, and visitors. The Janitorial Supervisor will lead a team of janitorial staff, ensure efficient and effective cleaning protocols, and collaborate closely with university departments to meet cleanliness and hygiene standards. Hours of position are 0600 - 15:30 Monday-Friday
What You'll Do:
- Responsible for the direction and supervision of all Loop Campus custodians (day and evening) and ensuring that assigned duties are completed in a timely and satisfactory manner.
- Responsible for contact and coordination with other tradesmen as required.
- Responsible for the direction and supervision of all Loop Campus elevator operators.
- Responsible for the implementation and supervision of the Loop recycling program in conjunction with the Custodial Manager. The custodial supervisor coordinates all scavenger-related needs directly with the vendor to include roll off boxes.
- Represents DePaul University with garbage citations as reported by City of Chicago Streets and Sanitation’s Department.
- Responsible for the planning and scheduling of special cleaning projects. Work with Custodial Manager to further develop project schedule. Staff to be provided with Saturday project work dates at least one week in advance.
- Oversee and supervise the use of all special storage areas for various departments within the University.
- Responsible for ensuring that his staff is following all safety policies.
- Staff is adequately trained in the use of all equipment and tools related to their job duties and are following all safety Policy and Procedures.
- Responsible for conducting regular inspections of common areas, classrooms, and special use areas in all Loop buildings.
- Review and revise on an annual basis the job description for the custodial and elevator staff. Ensuring that all changes are understood and properly implemented with the employee.
- Responsible for the annual update of all custodial and elevator personnel job descriptions.
- Oversee the operations of the passenger and freight elevators.
- Responsible for yearly vacation scheduling for elevator operators and custodians to include coverage by others as required.
- Responsible for making sure all equipment that’s used by custodial staff is kept clean and operable.
- Oversee the scheduling of overtime and attendance for the custodians and elevator operators.
- Daily inspection of exterior areas of all buildings for graffiti and any other discrepancies that are out of the ordinary.
- Responsible for the coordination of cleaning jobs with contracted janitorial service.
- Assist custodians with all in-house moves and set-ups as required.
- Responsible for upkeep and inventory of all folding tables, chairs and moving boxes in all Loop buildings.
What You'll Need:
- Previous custodial experience preferred
- Ability to lift a minimum of 60 pounds required
- A means of contact early in the morning during winter months for snow removal
For consideration, please include a resume and cover letter.
- Working for a stable and well-known University that values diversity and inclusion.
- Tuition waivers for employees and dependents.
Diversity and Inclusion Statement:
Guided by an ethic of Vincentian personalism and professionalism, DePaul compassionately upholds the dignity of all members of its diverse, multi-faith, and inclusive community. We seek to hire collaborative, open-minded, and dedicated professionals who are committed to advancing our university mission to making education accessible to all, with special attention to including underserved and underrepresented communities. Successful candidates thrive in an environment where ideas and perspectives representing a wide variety of cultures, backgrounds and experiences are welcome and supported.
Required Background Check:
Employment at DePaul University is contingent on passing a background check. Only final candidates who are extended an offer of employment will undergo a background check.
Mandated Reporting of Child Abuse & Neglect:
Upon accepting an offer of employment with the university, you will also be required to sign an Acknowledgement of Mandated Reporter Status at the time of hire. A mandated reporter is required to make a report to the Illinois DCFS Hotline whenever there is reasonable cause to believe that a child known to them in their professional or official capacity may be abused or neglected. For more information, please visit the following pages:
Illinois Department of Children & Family Services (DCFS)
Illinois Abused and Neglected Child Reporting Act
DePaul University is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, genetic information or any other legally protected status, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local EEO laws.