Essential duties and responsibilities
- Performs monthly general account analysis and reconciliations including, fixed assets, accruals, prepaid expenses, and investment earnings.
- Determines the proper handling of general financial transactions, prepares journal entries, and approves transactions within designated limits.
- Oversees, reviews and approves bank services and transactions including merchant services, wire and ACH transfers.
- Prepares monthly sales tax report.
- Coordinates annual tax returns (990, 990-t, 5500, etc.) and reporting as needed.
- Coordinates the annual tax filing and reporting of 1042, 1099, 1098-T with the student accounts, accounts payable and payroll departments.
- Works in collaboration with the University procurement, accounts payable and employee services departments to ensure accurate and timely recording of transactions.
- Works in collaboration with the University development office for the accurate recording of gift agreements and accounting. Provides a monthly review, reconciliation and report of all gifts, contributions and pledges.
- Assists in the year end audit by preparing schedules and support for sample selections.
- Monitors compliance with GAAP and university policies and procedures. Develop understanding of new accounting pronouncements.
- Maintains internal controls and policies and procedures impacting the Accounting Department.
- Assists with day-to-day, monthly, and year-end operations of the Accounting/Finance Department, as needed.
Required knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Knowledge of accounting principles.
- Good organizational skills and ability to multi-task.
- Advanced computer skills including knowledge of accounting software, database software, internet software, and the core MS Office Products with more advanced skills in Excel.
- University Degree is required - C.P.A. or Master's Degree in Accounting is preferred.
- 3 to 5 years relevant accounting experience.