Assistant/ Associate Professor and Program Coordinator of Doctor of Science in Public Safety Location:
MGA - Macon Regular/Temporary:
Regular Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
Middle Georgia State University (MGA), a multi-campus, baccalaureate and graduate degree granting public institution, is the most affordable public state university in Georgia. MGA has five campuses-Macon, Cochran, Dublin, Eastman, and Warner Robins, all located in central Georgia-and global outreach through its fully-online campus. Its enrollment of 8,000 students is largely comprised of students from most of Georgia's 159 counties. The University has six academic schools, including Georgia's flagship aviation university, that support its mission to educate and graduate inspired, lifelong learners whose scholarship and careers enhance the state.
The Department of Psychology and Criminal Justice includes programs that are designed to produce analytic, critical thinkers prepared to succeed in meeting the challenges of modern life. We emphasize career preparation in the behavioral sciences through lifelong learning. The Department offers an Associate of Science in Criminal Justice, a Bachelor of Science in Psychology, a Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice, and a Doctorate in Public Safety.
This position is responsible for coordinating the new Doctor of Science in public safety. This position is a ten (10) month faculty position with administrative responsibilities. Regular on campus presence is also required for the position.
- Management and oversight of the Doctor of Science in Public Safety.
- Course and program design and continuous assessment.
- Program administration to include coordination with the Office of graduate Studies and the DSIT.
- Actively pursue curriculum improvement and assessment.
- Work with administrative offices to solve procedural, operational, and other related issues surrounding the DSPS.
- Serve as point of contact for the DSPS.
- Serve as a point of contact for consulting agencies involved in public safety.
- Teach a workload of four courses per Fall and Spring semester, with a one course release per semester, resulting in a 3-3 courseload.
Doctorate in Public Safety or closely related field.
Experience in a university setting.
Experience in public safety.
Experience that warrants a tenure-track appointment at an appropriate rank.
Experience teaching courses in public safety at the doctorate level.
Experience with Peace Officer Standards and Training
POST certification is preferred.
Required Documents to Attach
1. Letter of interest including teaching philosophy
3. Research statement, including an experience conducting and/or supervising program evaluation or policy evaluation research.
4. Unofficial Academic Transcripts (undergraduate and graduate)
5.Name and contact information for three professional references
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Skill in interpersonal relations and dealing with varied stakeholders
- Research skills and data analytics
- Skill in oral and written communication
- Skill in organization and project management
- Detailed knowledge of Georgia Public Safety Operations
- Time management skills
- Analytical skills and problem solving
- Budget management skills
Equal Employment Opportunity
Middle Georgia State University is an equal employment, equal access, and equal educational opportunity. It is the policy of the Middle Georgia State University to recruit, hire, train, promote and educate persons without regard to race, color, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran status as required by applicable state and federal laws (including Title VI, Title VII, Title IX, Sections 503, and 504, ADEA, ADA, E.O. 11246, and Rev. Proc. 75-50).
For questions or more detailed information regarding this policy, please contact the Middle Georgia State University Office of Human Resources at 471.478.2010. Individuals requiring disability related accommodations for participation in any event or to obtain print materials in an alternative format, please contact Human Resources.
Employment offer is contingent upon completing a background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your employment eligibility with MGA, as determined by MGA in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application material and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check.
This is a full-time, 10-month, faculty position and includes a comprehensive benefits package.
Health insuranceDental VisionFlexible Spending Account (FSA)Health Savings Account (HSA)Life InsuranceSick LeaveVacation LeaveParental LeaveRetirementEmployee discountsTuition reimbursement
Every member of the USG community is required to adhere to the USG Statement of Core Values - Integrity, Excellence, Accountability, and Respect - that form and guide the daily work of the organization.
Middle Georgia State University is committed to four core values in what we do and represent:
CORE VALUES: Stewardship - Engagement - Adaptability - Learning