PRIDE COUNSELING: Adjunct / Substitute Instructor POOL (college credit)
San Diego Community College District
NOTE: The San Diego Community College District accepts applications for adjunct (part-time/substitute) positions for our three college campuses (City, Mesa, Miramar) and various College of Continuing Education centers on a continuous basis. However, it does not necessarily imply there are immediate openings. If you meet the required minimum qualifications, your application will be included in the adjunct pool for possible assignments in the fall, spring, and/or summer semesters of the academic year. Hiring departments utilize the adjunct pool when there is a need and will contact you directly should you possess the qualifications they are seeking. Applications are purged approximately one year from submittal, at which time you will receive an automated e-mail notice to re-apply if you wish to remain in the pool.
The Pride Center opened on February 22nd, 2023, after extensive advocacy from Queer students, faculty, and staff, particularly the Mesa College LGBTQIA+ Task Force Committee-a subcommittee from the Committee for Diversity Action, Inclusion & Equity (CDAIE). The Pride Center at Mesa College welcomes and supports students, faculty, and classified professional regardless of their gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnic or cultural background(s). The Pride Center offers centralized services for LGBTQIA+ and ally students such as academic, personal, and career counseling; Safe Zone trainings; expressive and affirming events and activities; Case management to on and off community resources; and other student leadership opportunities.
The Pride Center's values are reflected in the acronym I AM BRAVE: Inclusivity, Academic Excellence, Multiculturalism, Brave Space, Reflection & Resilience, Access, Visibility, and Equity. These guiding values support the Pride Center's efforts to create a safe and supportive campus environment for our LGBTQIA+ community.
To learn more about the Pride Center at Mesa College, click here
Part-time/temporary faculty positions offer flexible hours and the opportunity to assist a diverse group of adult students in achieving their educational goals. As one of the largest community college districts in southern California, we offer a wide range of opportunities in transfer, general education, vocational and occupational programs. These part-time positions are as-needed and applicants should live within commuting distance to San Diego.
The Adjunct Counselor at the Pride Center has the responsibility to offer gender affirming and academic counseling services that are inclusive of the LGBTQIA+ community. They will provide general counseling with the following approach:
Perform educational advising, administer and interpret appropriate assessment instruments for prospective students; refer students to support as necessary.
- Inform students about college procedures, catalog use, regulations, fees, resources and special programs
- Assist students to complete an educational plan; and provide continuing students assistance in identifying appropriate academic, career, and personal goals.
- Assist students in finding appropriate college, community resources, and other LGBTQIA+ affirming resources to resolve problems, and crises, which interfere with their success and retention as students through case management.
- Provide counseling services for probationary and disqualified students; address and identify student learning problems in cooperation with the instructional program.
- Provide counseling and advisement services to special program students including LGBTQIA+ students, students on financial aid, international students, veterans, students with disabilities, athletes, and students in various retention programs.
- Opportunity to develop and teach courses in personal growth or related subject areas through an LGBTQIA+ perspective as part of regular Counselor assignment; participate in evaluation of instructional materials and recommend catalog revisions as necessary.
- Provide and develop workshops surrounding academic success, identity and community development, self and community care, and other LGBTQIA+ relevant themes at the Pride Center.
Master’s in counseling, rehabilitation counseling, clinical psychology, counseling psychology, guidance counseling, educational counseling, social work, career development, marriage and family therapy or marriage, family and child counseling,
the equivalent (NOTE: A bachelor’s degree in one of the listed degrees and a license as a Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT) is an alternative qualification for this discipline.)
(if possess) California Community College Counselor Credential (valid for life)
At the time that an offer of assignment is made, proper salary placement is contingent upon receipt of OFFICIAL (sealed) transcripts and Verifications of Previous Work Experience (if applicable). Instructors with advanced coursework and/ or experience shall be placed on the appropriate class and step on the Adjunct College Salary Schedules, effective the first-month following receipt (in Human Resources) of the official transcripts and Verifications of Previous Work Experience (if applicable). Initial salary placement will be at the first class/step until all required documentation has been submitted.
for the current salary schedule or you may view the current salary schedule by using the “Salary Schedules” link to the left.
If you would like to open the link in a different tab or window, right-click and select the option.
To apply, visit: https://www.sdccdjobs.com
All applicants must have demonstrated cultural competency and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency