Dean, Mathematics, and Natural SciencesPosition Type:
AdministrationStatus of Position:
Staff - Full TimeUnion:
The Dean, Mathematics, and Natural Sciences provides vision, leadership and support to the departments of Science and Mathematics. The Dean coordinates Cooperatives.Reporting and Supervisory Relationships:
- Reports to the Vice President of Academic Affairs.
- Direct supervisory relationship with Department Chairs and Coordinators of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, and Administrative Assistant.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- Collaborates with the Chairs and Coordinators in strategic planning for the division.
- Provides leadership and effective support for faculty-led assessment and enhancement of student learning.
- Develops, in consultation with chairs and coordinators, a master schedule that maximizes enrollment and responds to students’ needs.
- Provides leadership and support to faculty in recruitment and articulation activities with secondary schools, community organizations, business and industry, and four-year colleges and universities.
- Collaborates with chairs and coordinators on curriculum review and approves all curricular changes.
- Researches and supports development of new programs and courses.
- Promotes and facilitates faculty development.
- Supports and advises chairs and coordinators on academic matters and attends departmental meetings as warranted.
- Interviews finalists for full-time faculty positions and collaborates with the Vice President of Academic Affairs in recommending candidates to the President and Board of Trustees.
- Evaluates all tenure-track and tenured faculty, prepares pre- and post-tenure reviews, and makes tenure recommendations.
- Works with coordinators in mentoring and evaluating adjunct faculty; provides final approval for adjunct hiring, and oversees their reassignment in adherence to the adjunct faculty contract.
- Responsible for Cooperative agreements.
- Develops and oversees the budget for assigned areas.
- Supports and advises faculty on student issues and administers the process for addressing student concerns, waivers and grade appeals.
- Supports the faculty, chairs and coordinators in conducting and writing program and accreditation reviews and finalizes the reports for all departmental programs.
- Evaluates the need for new equipment, makes sure equipment is purchased in a timely way and assumes responsibility for the equipment inventory.
- Promotes the integration of technology into instruction.
- Supports the inclusion of multicultural and global perspectives across the curriculum.
- Collaborates with the Division of Corporate and Continuing Professional Education to provide appropriate non-credit courses.
- In addition to the above duties, performs other tasks as assigned by the Vice President of Academic Affairs.
- Represents the College and establishes relationships with appropriate local, regional, state and national organizations.
Employee is subject to indoor work, protected from weather conditions. Work is sedentary in nature and involves exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently/constantly in order to life, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.Minimum Qualifications:
- A Master’s Degree in a discipline within Mathematics and Natural Sciences.
- Academic administrative experience at the level of department coordinator/ chair or above.
- Demonstrated excellence in analytical, oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated computer competency.
- College teaching experience, preferably at a community college
Anticipated Work Hours and Days:
- Experience in curriculum development.
- Experience working in a multicultural environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in the assessment of student learning, instructional technology, scheduling and budgeting, and faculty development.
- Doctorate or graduate work beyond master’s.
Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.Salary:
minimum starting-$91,645; salary commensurate with experiencePosting Date:
09/01/2023Open Until Filled:
YesSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
All applications must be submitted electronically. For full consideration, apply by September 15, 2023.