Reporting to the Senior Associate Director of Career Readiness, the Career Community Advisor - Technology & Data is responsible for engaging students in learning about and pursuing their career interests. They will coach students in accessing and understanding trends and issues related to their career interests, provide concrete knowledge around job search strategies and materials, and guide the them in building and tapping into their social capital. This position is responsible for one-on-one and group student advising, building and updating resources, and planning and hosting career-oriented events. The Career Community Advisor will serve as an expert within their assigned career field, maintaining current information on recruiting practices, timelines, and industry trends.
What You'll Do:
- Student Advising
Provide action oriented career coaching via both individual and group services to facilitate students' career success.
This position will primarily advise students with business and technology related career interests.
- Programming and Resources
Create and present educational materials on a variety of career topics and collaborate with staff to create and host networking events and panels. Contribute to the Career Center's knowledge base by helping to develop and deliver high quality resources and workshops.
- Cross-Functional Teams and Initiatives
Serve on various cross-functional teams to promote the vision and direction of the Career Center. Serve as a liaison to various departments as appropriate. Represent DePaul and the center in local and national professional associations and conferences in order to stay current with industry standards and changes, revise programs to reflect trends, and increase the center’s visibility among professionals in the field.
- Supervise 1-2 student peer advisors.
What You'll Need:
- Bachelor's degree required
- Two to five years experience in career development, recruitment/staffing, human resources, training and development, or comparable background.
- Master’s degree, especially in counseling, business, or technology, preferred.
- Experience in working with traditional age students as well as adults at various stages of career development.
- Experience working with hiring managers and/or recruiters preferred.
- Knowledge of career and academic advising, assessment, marketing, program development and management are essential.
- Knowledge of and interest in relevant career areas (technology and business), employment market, and recruitment practices.
- Ability to utilize coaching/counseling skills, including active listening, strategic goal planning, and providing developmental feedback.
- May require occasional hours outside of normal business hours when hosting networking events or workshops.
- Travel between campuses required.
For consideration, please include a resume and cover letter.
- Working for a stable and well-known University that values diversity and inclusion.
- Top choice medical, dental, and vision benefits.
- Retirement plan matching contribution of 10%.
- Tuition waivers for employees and dependents.
- Generous paid time off, sick time, holidays, floating holidays, and more!
- Full-Time Benefits
Diversity and Inclusion Statement:
Guided by an ethic of Vincentian personalism and professionalism, DePaul compassionately upholds the dignity of all members of its diverse, multi-faith, and inclusive community. We seek to hire collaborative, open-minded, and dedicated professionals who are committed to advancing our university mission to making education accessible to all, with special attention to including underserved and underrepresented communities. Successful candidates thrive in an environment where ideas and perspectives representing a wide variety of cultures, backgrounds and experiences are welcome and supported.
Required Background Check:
Employment at DePaul University is contingent on passing a background check. Only final candidates who are extended an offer of employment will undergo a background check.
Mandated Reporting of Child Abuse & Neglect:
Upon accepting an offer of employment with the university, you will also be required to sign an Acknowledgement of Mandated Reporter Status at the time of hire. A mandated reporter is required to make a report to the Illinois DCFS Hotline whenever there is reasonable cause to believe that a child known to them in their professional or official capacity may be abused or neglected. For more information, please visit the following pages:
Illinois Department of Children & Family Services (DCFS)
Illinois Abused and Neglected Child Reporting Act
DePaul University is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, genetic information or any other legally protected status, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local EEO laws.