Support StaffClassification Title:
College Support ServicesPosition Title:
Academic Administrative Assistant to Politics and Public AffairsPosition Number:
O00117Pay Grade Level:
Politics and Public Affairs DepartmentPosting Number:
S 121301177Full or Part Time:
Full TimeNumber of Months:
Regular work hours.Basic Function:
The Department of Politics and Public Affairs at Denison University seeks an Academic Administrative Assistant who can support the work of faculty and students by providing overall administrative support for the Department, managing and overseeing budgets, tracking communication and managing information, assisting in coordinating a wide range of department events and activities, and supervising student workers, in addition to performing other duties as required.Essential Job Functions:
- Provide overall administrative support to an academic department.
- Support the administrative business function of the department.
- Create and maintain organization of the department office.
- Serve as a department contact for questions or information requests to and from a variety of campus offices including the office of the Registrar, the Provost, the Controller, the Physical Plant, and Informational Technology, the Office of Admission, etc.
- Provide support to students by forming relationships and directing them to appropriate resources regarding advising, academic support, mentoring, and other student issues.
- Serve as departmental liaison to Denison faculty and students, as well as visitors from outside the department.
- Work in conjunction with other university departments, both academic and administrative.
- Process incoming and outgoing departmental communications and copy tasks.
- Receive and welcome visitors to the department.
- Handle requests from students, faculty, staff, and visitors in a helpful and professional manner.
- Managing and overseeing budgets.
- Track departmental budgets (multiple accounts and sub-accounts).
- Assist with purchasing equipment and maintaining the department’s stock of typical office supplies and any special supplies requested by the faculty.
- Utilize the online e-procurement system to submit payments and retrieve payment invoices, as well as purchase materials necessary to fulfill the department’s mission.
- Tracking communication and managing information.
- Maintain and update each department’s course catalog pages and social media sites, including working with University Communications to keep public-facing webpages up to date.
- Maintain and update department bulletin boards with upcoming events, awards, student and alumni successes, and other relevant materials.
- File correspondence, budget documents and other records (some confidential) in a timely manner.
- Maintain department databases of student information, course history, course syllabi and other department data.
- Assist in maintaining contact with and tracking department alumni.
- Maintain the department calendar.
- Maintain and prepare requested departmental information (student GPAs, class lists, other statistics, etc.) as needed.
- Collect, compile, evaluate and analyze department information from a variety of sources.
- Assist the department in crafting, finalizing, and submitting the departmental teaching schedule each semester, as well as the department budget.
- Assist in the compilation of data and reports needed for reviews of the department.
- Compile and track various student records and lists.
- Track eligible students each spring for designation as Department Fellows and candidates for membership into Pi Sigma Alpha, our discipline’s honorary society.
- Assisting in coordinating a wide range of department events and activities.
- Assist with the department’s job searches: Submit required forms, assist with distribution of advertisement, monitor individual applications as received, schedule Zoom interviews, coordinate candidates’ travel, lodging and create on-campus interview schedules.
- Coordinate a wide range of departmental events, including scheduling and distributing information regarding events; coordinating travel and lodging arrangements for departmental visitors; and, publicizing seminars and events involving these visitors.
- Assist faculty in logistics for department colloquia and like activities.
- Assist and work with the advisor and student officers on planning events, overseeing and maintaining their budget.
- Supervising student workers.
- Oversee the assignment and scheduling of departmental student workers.
- Manage wage authorizations and library proxies for student fellows and employees.
- Ensure that student timesheets are submitted and approved on time.
- Provide guidance on projects/tasks assigned to student workers.
Outstanding organizational skills;Ability to work with minimal supervision and be flexible and multitask;Preferred Qualifications:
Ability to handle confidential information;Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (both written and verbal);Ability to stay informed of changes in College policies, procedures, and software;
The ability and willingness to attend training on campus and learn new skills;Proficiency in the Google Workspace (Gmail, Calendar, Docs, Sheets, Slides, and Forms);Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
Some college coursework and/or experience in a collegiate environment.Physical Demands:
The successful candidate will enjoy and be successful working with a broad range of people, from students to faculty to college staff to visitors. They will be pro-active, adept at managing information and responding in a timely manner to requests, able to manage up and down, and support student learning on many levels.
Human ResourcesContact Email:
05/03/2023Open Until Filled:
YesDenison University Background Check Statement:
The final candidate will undergo a background check as a conditional offer of employment.Denison University EEO Statement :
Denison University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To achieve our mission as a liberal arts college, we continually strive to attract and hire candidates with diverse backgrounds, experiences and identities. Denison fosters a campus community that recognizes the value of all persons regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender expression and identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or socio-economic background. For additional information and resources about diversity at Denison, please see our commitment to inclusion, diversity, equity and antiracism (IDEA) at Denison Forward.
If you require a reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please contact the Human Resources Department at (740)587-6299 or by email at HR@denison.edu.