TITLE: Interim Physician Assistant Studies (PAS) Director of Clinical Education
FLSA STATUS: Exempt (salary)
DEPARTMENT: Physician Assistant Studies Program
REPORTS TO: Interim Program Director or Program Director, Physician Assistant Studies Program
JOB STATUS: Full-time staff, at least 37.5 hours/ week, eligible for benefits
DATE AVAILABLE: Immediate Opening
*The successful candidate will be appointed for a minimum of 6 months.
PRIMARY PURPOSE/POSITION SUMMARY:
The Interim PAS Director of Clinical Education is instrumental in the day-to-day operations of the Physician Assistant Studies Program and the education of its students in their clinical year. The individual will be responsible for developing an annual strategic plan for retaining and developing new preceptor faculty and new clinical rotation sites. This role will coordinate the continuous assessment of and visit existing sites overseen by the program director. This role, in collaboration with the Program Director, will participate in the educational leadership of the Physician Assistant Studies program by overseeing the clinical year curriculum, actively seeking new clinical affiliation sites, working with faculty in the didactic year to integrate clinical activities and teaching in the clinical year. The candidate will be appointed for a minimum of 6 months and maximum of 12 months. This position will renew annually until Program Director is hired.
EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL DOMINICAN EMPLOYEES:
To support the University's mission of preparing students to pursue truth, to give compassionate service, and to participate in the creation of a more just and humane world.
JOB COMPONENTS/PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The Interim PAS Director of Clinical Education is responsible for:
- Working in collaboration with the program director, medical director and associate director to develop new and maintain current clinical affiliation sites that meet ARC-PA accrediting requirements
- Develop, coordinate, revise and evaluate the clinical course curriculum
- Providing knowledgeable guidance for the clinical year program components
- Evaluating and acting as the course lead, along with the associate director, for the clinical rotations undertaken in the program by second year students
- Evaluating and assessing clinical sites to ensure they meet ARC-PA requirements working in collaboration with the program director, medical director and faculty.
- Advocating for PA clinical education and practice
- Working with, mentoring, and participating in continuous assessment of the efficacy of clinical preceptors.
- Assist in ensuring the safety of students at all clinical sites
- Mentor, advise, and provide leadership of physician assistant students in community service rotations.
- Participate in on-site visits to both potential and established clinical sites
- Coordinate and direct monthly return to campus day activities
- Participate in the evaluation of the overall effectiveness of the Program in meeting its mission in accordance with the ARC-PA Standards
- Participate in committees at the department level
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to the development and success of the PAS program at Dominican University
- Perform other duties as requested, delegated or assigned
The following qualifications are required unless otherwise stated.
- Master's degree in health-related field
- 3 years of practice experience, preferably in primary care, pediatrics, emergency medicine, general internal medicine or family practice
- Strong organizational skills and keen attention to detail
- Strong problem-solving capabilities
- An ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Commitment to fostering an equitable and inclusive community for students and colleagues
- Excellent interpersonal and communication abilities including both oral and written skills
- Ability to effectively advocate for the PAS program as a member of the inter-professional healthcare team
- A strong commitment to the development and success of the PAS Program at Dominican University
- Ability to acquire professional affiliations and contacts in the medical field
- An Illinois Physician Assistant license or eligibility
- NCCPA Certification
- 3 or more years’ experience in finding and developing sites for accredited clinical programs
A background screening is required.
All applicants must apply online at www.dom.edu/jobs. Please provide cover letter and resume, including a list of at least three professional references.
Applicants who progress in the search process will be asked to provide official transcripts. Submission instructions will be provided.
About Dominican University:
Dominican University is a Catholic, comprehensive teaching university located in River Forest, a suburb of Chicago, with an enrollment of about 3,000 students. The University is designated as a Hispanic Serving Institution, with 48% of undergraduates first generation in college, 68% female, 57% Hispanic of Any Race, and 5% Black/African-American. Dominican University’s mission, in part, is to prepare students to participate in the creation of a more just and humane world. Toward that end, the university is committed to building a culturally diverse educational environment. For more information about Dominican University, see www.dom.edu.
Dominican University is an equal opportunity employer. The University is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse faculty and staff committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment. We look forward to a diverse pool of applicants who bring varied experiences, perspectives and backgrounds.
Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to individuals with disabilities.