Present Position Number:
FP556WRole Code Title:
Professional/Lecturer (Staff)Position Title:
Director, Career Access & EngagementUnit Mission Statement:
Through our efforts to build a robust and inclusive culture of engagement and philanthropy, University Advancement strengthens connections between William & Mary and our vibrant community to ensure that the university and its people thrive for all time coming. By fostering lifelong relationships and creating meaningful opportunities, the team enriches the quality of the William & Mary experience and propels the university forward to address the most pressing needs of our time.Position Summary:
The Office of Career Development & Professional Engagement empowers students and alumni to explore professional possibilities and navigate lifelong career development.
The Director of Career Access & Engagement (Director) is an important member of the Office of Career Development & Professional Engagement team, which is housed in the Office of University Advancement at William & Mary.Required Qualifications:
The Director works closely with undergraduate and graduate students who self-align to a particular affinity group to support their career development. The Director serves as the point of contact with graduate program leads in Arts & Sciences, Virginia Institute of Marine Science, the School of Education, as well as the Office of Student Veteran Engagement, the Center for Student Diversity, Student Transition and Engagement Programs, and the Reves Center. In addition, the Director will provide career programs, services and resources for the general student and alumni populations.
Reporting to the Executive Director of the Office of Career Development & Professional Engagement, the Director develops programs and services to meet the needs of affinity career development. In addition, the Director will collaborate with a high performing team to coordinate efforts to support W&M students.
Please review and download the full position description for this job on the Career Development & Professional Engagement team under the “Featured Job Opportunities” on the University Advancement recruitment website: https://advancement.wm.edu/come-work-with-us/open-positions/index.php
- Advanced degree in higher education or a related field.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusiveness, including, but not limited to, collaboration, staffing and programming.
- Experience in a higher education, or similarly organized environment. (Typically, 5+ years)
- Significant experience in career advising and/or coaching and assessment; or equivalent professional practice. (Typically, 7+ years)
- Knowledge of student development and career development theory and practice.
- Demonstrates effective oral and written communication skills.
- Experience working with or the willingness to learn how to work with a graduate student cohort, graduate school faculty and Deans and affinity-aligned students, such as, but not limited to first generation, limited income, and veterans. (Typically, 5+ years)
- Experience assisting graduate and undergraduate affinity students in using effective career development resources (Typically 3+ years)
- Experience in delivering career content and advising in a hybrid format. (Typically, 3 years)
- Experience with career management platforms (e.g., Symplicity, Handshake, 12Twenty learning management tools and basic Microsoft Office tools, specifically Excel (Typically, 5+ years)
Advertised Pay Range:
- Demonstrated experience with career advising and coaching within special populations. (Typically, 3+ years).
- Experience with NACE Career Competencies. (Typically, 5+years)
- Professional development training experience. (Typically, 5+years)
$75, 000 – $80,000 commensurate with experienceUniversity Salary Range:
240000 Career DevelopmentLocation:
William & MaryIs the position remote work eligible?:
Not eligibleRemote Work Disclaimer:
Remote work eligibility is not guaranteed and is subject to approval. Employee eligibility depends on the likelihood of the employee succeeding in a remote work arrangement and the supervisor’s ability to manage remote workers. Departments and/or Human Resources may amend, alter, change, delete, or modify eligibility.Job Open Date:
08/16/2023Review Begin Date:
09/13/2023Open Until Filled:
Full Time ProfessionalFLSA:
12 Month - ContinuingConditions of Employment:
Occasional or weekend programs and commitments may be required.EEO Statement:
William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The university is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.Background Check Statement:
William & Mary is committed to providing a safe campus community. W&M conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.Benefits Summary Statement:
William & Mary offers our employees a full array of benefits including retirement, health insurance with options for expanded dental and vision along with group and optional life insurance with coverage for spouse and children, flexible spending accounts, and an EAP (Employee Assistance Program).
Our employees enjoy additional university benefits such as educational assistance, professional development, wellness benefits, and a robust holiday schedule. All employees have access to fitness facilities on campus. Staff members also have access to the university libraries, and much more. To learn more, go to: https://www.wm.edu/offices/hr/currentemployees/benefits/index.php