Learning Resource Specialist B - PT Library AssistantRequisition Number:
Success starts at Community College of Philadelphia. Innovators and difference makers work at Community College of Philadelphia. Diversity thrives at Community College of Philadelphia. We are a college that is committed to promoting a work environment that attracts and retains talented and diverse faculty and staff. We challenge each other and ourselves to achieve at the highest level while contributing to the mission of the College and the betterment of Philadelphia. We value and support an intellectually dynamic community to prepare our students for global citizenship. Join us and become a part of a community that has long been and will continue to be generators of generational chance in this city and beyond.Specific Responsibilities:
The Learning Resources Specialist B – PT Library Assistant provides outstanding customer service to students, faculty, staff and other patrons in the College’s library. The Learning Resources Specialist performs a variety of clerical and technical duties as appropriate to support the diverse operations and specialized procedures of the library.
This is a part-time position (hours not to exceed 25 per week) located on the College’s Main campus. Hours are primarily evening hours Monday-Thursday and Saturdays during the morning and afternoon hours. Must be able to be flexible with hours on nights and weekends, as needed to support students.
- Demonstrate excellent customer service in response to inquiries regarding basic library services.
- Provide all circulation desk functions including, but not limited to, checking out books and study room keys, assisting students find books in the book stacks or in the reserve collection, and assist faculty and student users as necessary.
- Maintain accurate placement of books based on weekly shelf reading schedule.
- Respond to telephone inquiries, gathering necessary information for the appropriate response and redirecting calls , as appropriate.
- Maintain proficiency in the use of library and college systems including, but not limited to, ALMA (the integrated library system), SpringShare space reservation software, MS Word,and MS Outlook.
- Communicate effectively with students, faculty, and staff in the use of library equipment and systems in a professional manner.
- Communicate library policies and procedures to library users, as needed.
- Provide training and oversight to student workers
• High school graduate, or GED, is required. Associate’s degree preferred. Any and all degree(s) must be from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning.Preferred Qualifications:
• Minimum of one (1) year experience in a direct-contact customer service environment required.
• Minimum of one (1) year of previous work experience in a library environment required.
• Familiarity with ILS and understanding the relationship between internal ILS views and the OPAC is required.
• Strong attention to detail is required.
• Demonstrated proficiency using MS Word, ILS, and MS Outlook required.
• Strong customer service skills to understand and address the needs and concerns of customers is required.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively independently and as a member of a team is required.
• Ability to use judgment to determine when to refer problems to direct supervisor required.
• Ability to stand for prolonged periods of time required.
• Ability to reach to upper level shelves using a stool and bend to lower level shelves when retrieving or re-shelving books required.
• An understanding of, and sensitivity to, the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of community college staff and students required.
• Ability to work extended hours, when needed, is required.
• Associate’s degree preferred. Any and all degree(s) must be from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning.Work Location:
• Minimum of one (1) year of previous work experience in a library environment preferably in an automated public or college library environment.
• Prior serials experience is preferred.
Main CampusSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
- Interested persons should complete an online application.
- Cover letter of interest and CV/resume REQUIRED.
- Name and contact information for three (3) references REQUIRED.
Employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of background checks in accordance with the Pennsylvania Child Protective Services Law.
Community College of Philadelphia is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.Salary Grade or Rank:
$17.99 - $31.69Type of Position:
ClassifiedEmployment Status :