Director of Faculty Development and Continuing EducationPosition Number :
001734Vacancy Open to :
All Candidates Department :
AAH SODM ACADSPT ManagementDepartment Homepage :
https://dental.ecu.edu/Advertising Department :
DENTAL MEDICINE, SCHOOL OF Division :
Academic AffairsClassification Title :
Instructional ConsultantWorking Title :
Director of Faculty Development and Continuing EducationNumber of Vacancies :
1Full Time Equivalent (FTE) :
1.0Full Time or Part Time :
Full TimeRecruitment Range:
Commensurate with qualificationsPosition Location (City) :
Non-FacultyJob Category :
Non-Faculty Instructional & ResearchOrganizational Unit Overview:
The School of Dental Medicine is composed of ten administrative offices and four academic departments. The Administrative units include the Offices of the Dean, Vice Dean, Associate Dean for Student Affairs, Associate Dean for Research, Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs, Associate Dean for Extramural Clinical Practices, Assistant Dean for Dental Education and Informatics, Assistant Dean for Educational Support and Faculty Development, Assistant Dean for Academic Success and the Assistant Dean for Business Operations and Financial Affairs. The four academic departments are Surgical Sciences, Pediatric Dentistry, Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, General Dentistry and Foundational Sciences.Included in the mission of the School of Dental Medicine is to educate dental care providers (both dental students and dental residents) and to address the oral health care needs of the underserved population of North Carolina. The School of Dental Medicine meets these missions by operating dental clinics that provide both educational experiences for the dental students and residents and provides dental care to the residents of North Carolina. These clinics occur in both Ross Hall in Greenville, North Carolina, as well as Community Service-Learning Centers located throughout North Carolina. In order to operate these clinics, appropriate dental auxiliaries and clinical staff are needed.Job Duties :
Minimum Education/Experience :
The School of Dental Medicine (SoDM) is composed of nine administrative offices and four academic departments. The Administrative units include the Offices of the Dean, Vice-Dean, Associate Dean for Student Affairs, Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs, Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs, Associate Dean for Extramural Clinical Practices, Assistant Dean for Business Operations and Financial Affairs, Assistant Dean for Academic Success and Assistant Dean for Dental Education and Informatics. The four departments include Foundational Sciences, General Dentistry, Surgical Sciences and Pediatric Dentistry, Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics.The Director of Faculty Development and Continuing Education (DFDCE) provides leadership and management of a variety of services to meet faculty development and continuing education needs in order to extend the benefits of education, research and service activities that support the SoDM’s mission. The position also involves significant independent interaction with academic and administrative units in the SoDM and the University in planning, tracking and executing comprehensive faculty development and Continuing Education (CE) programs.The position reports to the Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs.Specific Duties include:Faculty Development – 50%· Strategically plan comprehensive faculty development programs, including development of policies and procedures that identify individual and collective needs of faculty.
· Design, implement and analyze faculty development surveys.
· Develop resources needed for faculty development programs.
· Work closely with Eastern Area Health Education Center (EAHEC), ECU Office of Faculty Excellence and Brody School of Medicine Faculty Development and Continuing Medical Education to identify and address common CE interests and needs of faculty, practicing dentists and other health care professionals throughout the region and state.
· Provide leadership. promote and enhance the SoDM – College of Education collaboration on the Certificate/Masters of Adult Education Program.
· Assist SoDM faculty in identifying sources to support their scholarly work such as federal and state grants as well as industrial contracts.
· Plan and conduct symposia and workshops that support faculty development.
· Provide leadership and work with other administrative units in areas of needs assessment based on the SoDM Strategic Plan and the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) Standards.
· Assist SoDM faculty in developing learning objectives, constructing assessments and teaching methods on an as needed basis.
· Identify and support SoDM faculty in programs such as the ADEA Leadership Institute, Chancellor’s Leadership Academy, the BRODY INSPIRE program and BRIDGES program.
· Explore collaborations across ECU to provide faculty development that supports IPE curriculum.
· Assist in the preparation of the Unit Annual Report, IPAR Reports and periodic CODA reportsAssist Faculty in Preparing for Promotion and Tenure Review – 40%· Provide leadership in faculty onboarding process.
· Work with the department Chairs to assist new faculty in understanding promotion and tenure guidelines, timetables, annual reviews and mentoring resources available at the SoDM.
· Work with department chairs in helping faculty pursue their requirements for timely consideration for promotion and tenure review.
· Assist faculty and chairs in completing Personal Action Dossier (PAD), Peer reviews and Progress Toward Tenure letters in a timely fashion.
· Work with department Chairs in assisting with regularly scheduled faculty calibration protocols and maintaining records of calibration activities.Developing and Implementing Continuing Education (CE) programs at the SoDM – 10%· Work with faculty and department chairs to develop CE programs at the SoDM that benefit faculty, staff, students and practicing dentists and other health care professionals in the region keep up with current scientific findings in the area of oral health and its association with systemic health.
· Explore and enact partnerships with Eastern AHEC, Brody School of Medicine and other unit across ECU in identifying topics of interest to faculty, students, practicing dentists and other health care professionals in the region.
· Support and maintain the SoDM as an ADA Continuing Education Recognition Program (CERP) provider.
· Work with the Office of Dental Education and Informatics as well as the Eastern AHEC to deliver CE to a broader audience through remote learning technology.
· Any other duties as assigned by the dean or the associate dean for faculty affairs.
Position contingent upon available funding.
· Master’s degree required; or Bachelor’s degree with five years’ experience in higher education, public health or related field.· Demonstrated oral and written communication skills.License or Certification Required by Statute or Regulation :
N/APreferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education :
· Experience (3-5 years) in health professional training and development.· Demonstrated knowledge of working with administration, state licensing boards and accrediting agencies to ensure that programming supports minimum licensure and accreditation requirements.Special Instructions to Applicant :
Applicants must be authorized to work in the US.Additional Instructions to Applicant:
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must complete a candidate profile online via the PeopleAdmin system and submit any requested documents. Additionally, applicants that possess the preferred education and experience must also possess the minimum education/experience, if applicable.Job Open Date :
04/26/2023Open Until Filled:
YesInitial Screening Begins :
05/10/2023Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting :
East Carolina University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and seeks to create an environment that fosters the recruitment and retention of a more diverse student body, faculty, staff and administration. We encourage qualified applicants from women, minorities, veterans, individuals with a disability, and historically underrepresented groups. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race/ethnicity, color, genetic information, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, political affiliation, or veteran status.Eligibility for Employment :
Individuals requesting accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) should contact the Department of Human Resources at (252) 737-1018 (Voice/TTY) or ADA-Coordinator@ecu.edu.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. ECU participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.Office of Human Resources Contact Information :
If you experience any problems accessing the system or have questions about the application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (252) 328-9847 or toll free at 1-866-489-1740 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Our office is available to provide assistance Monday-Friday from 8:00-5:00 EST.