Executive Director of Alumni Engagement and Advancement CommunicationsPosition Type:
Administration - StaffPosition Eclass:
E2 - SAAO II 12 Month Leave EarningUniversity Information:
UNC Greensboro, located in the Piedmont Triad region of North Carolina, is 1 of only 57 doctoral institutions recognized by the Carnegie Foundation for both higher research activity and community engagement. Founded in 1891 and one of the original three UNC System institutions, UNC Greensboro is one of the most diverse universities in the state with 20,000+ students, and 3,000+ faculty and staff members representing 90+ nationalities. With 17 Division I athletic teams, 85 undergraduate degrees in over 125 areas of study, as well as 74 master’s and 32 doctoral programs, UNC Greensboro is consistently recognized nationally among the top universities for academic excellence and value, with noted strengths in health and wellness, visual and performing arts, nursing, education, and more. For additional information, please visit uncg.edu and follow UNCG on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.Primary Purpose of the Organizational Unit:
A number of professionally diverse units with specific charges come together to comprise University Advancement and support our shared mission.Position Summary:
Mission StatementOur mission is to inspire connections, investments, and engagements that drive excellence and opportunity. Our vision is of a University that illuminates potential, eliminates barriers, and ignites achievement.
University Advancement includes: Development, Alumni Engagement, University Special Events, Advancement Operations, Donor and Board Engagement, Planned Giving, and Advancement Communications.
The Executive Director of Alumni Engagement and Advancement Communications leads the newly combined teams of fourteen full-time employees to focus on alumni engagement and advancement messaging for all constituencies. Key leadership and vision priorities include: evaluating and implementing alumni programming, centralized messaging with maximization of all channels, and actively attracting our 140,000 alumni to engage with UNC Greensboro through marketing and digital engagement platforms. The position also oversees annual giving activities, including digital strategy, marketing, crowdsourced fundraising, online give days, direct mail, etc. The Executive Director will focus on framing the UNC Greensboro story and message and creating opportunities that connect current students to our alumni and our alumni back to campus. This position sits on the leadership team of the University Advancement division and reports directly to the Vice Chancellor of University Advancement.Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree and fifteen years of progressive experience in Advancement, Alumni Engagement, Communications, Donor Engagement, Customer Relations, or related fields
- Experience working in a university setting
- 5+ years of management experience; ability and interest in managing, developing, motivating, and mentoring staff
- Experience working with Board/Volunteers
- Experience working and tracking activity in a CRM
- Master’s preferred
$111,035 – $145,000Org #-Department:
Alumni Engagement - 34001Job Open Date:
08/09/2023Open Until Filled:
1.000Type of Appointment:
PermanentNumber of Months per Year:
ExemptPercentage Of Time:
Leading the combined Team to maximize alumni engagement effortsEssential Tasks:
Percentage Of Time:
- Leads strategic planning and program design and implementation of combined Team
- Oversees employee performance management, budget, and the Alumni House
- Enhances collaborative partnerships across campus, including within University Advancement, and with colleges and units, Athletics, Admissions, Student Affairs, and the Career Center
- Provides high-level direction for annual giving strategies that increase alumni giving and alumni donor retention
- Drives programming opportunities for students, alumni, and constituents that promote a comprehensive understanding of the University’s missions and priorities, increase engagement and build positive and productive relationships.
- Collaborates with development colleagues to increase philanthropic support from alumni; routinely identify and qualify alumni prospects for leadership, annual/major/principal gift; communicate development-related activities via contact reports and attend development officer meetings.
Creating Vision for Alumni TeamEssential Tasks:
Percentage Of Time:
- Supports the Alumni Leadership Board and their focus areas including the execution of the annual Alumni Awards
- Leads the Alumni Engagement team by designing and executing alumni engagement activities and programming (digital and in-person) with a special emphasis on our multiple alumni constituencies
- Measures and evaluates annual alumni engagement metrics
- Builds relationships with alumni, including attending University, University Advancement, Alumni Engagement, and regional events and meetings.
Advancement CommunicationsEssential Tasks:
- Oversees the Director of Advancement Communications, responsible for identifying and managing communications strategies to support alumni, donor, and campaign communications.
- Manages the implementation of communications strategies alongside the advancement team, colleagues, and the central strategic communications team.
- Ensures overall messaging and content creation connects with various constituencies, including but not limited to prospective students, students, alumni, donors, volunteers, and the community.
- Serves as an integral member of the UNCG Magazine committee
Hand Movement-Repetitive Motions - F, Hand Movement-Grasping - O, Holding - O, Finger Dexterity - C, Reading - F, Writing - F, Eye-hand coordination - F, Vision-Color Distinction - O, Vision-Preparing/Analyzing figures - F, Vision-Visual inspection - O, Hearing - C, Talking - C, Standing - O, Sitting - F, Walking - O, Lifting-0-30 lbs. - O, Pushing/Pulling - O, Climbing-Stairs - OWork Environment:
Inside - C, Outside - O