The Lebanese American University invites applications and nominations for the position of Dean of the School of Arts and Sciences. The Lebanese American University (LAU) is a leading higher education institution in the Middle East, operating on two campuses, Beirut and Byblos, and enrolling more than 8,000 students. The University is chartered by the Regents of the State University of New York and is accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE). The School of Arts and Sciences is home to LAU’s oldest programs, is at the core of the University’s liberal arts tradition and enrolls over 2,600 students at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
The Dean of Arts and Sciences is the senior academic officer of the School and is responsible for all matters relating to academic leadership and administration, including overseeing of academic programs, faculty, staff, and students on both the Beirut and Byblos Campuses. The Dean will set standards of intellectual engagement and accomplishment for the School and will provide strategic vision and operational leadership for all aspects of the academic and scholarly program, creating an environment that supports the School, faculty, and students. The Dean will also conduct fundraising for the School.
The candidate must be able to build on LAU’s strong record in the humanities, social sciences, and performing and communication arts, while at the same time continue strengthening the high caliber natural and physical sciences, as well as math and computer sciences, bioinformatics, actuarial sciences, and education programs. The Dean should have a commitment to academic freedom and the centrality of the liberal arts within the broader context of university education, and a demonstrated ability to articulate a compelling, strategic vision and long-term goals for the School of Arts and Sciences. The candidate should also have an inclusive leadership style.
The Dean reports to the Provost and serves as a voting member on the Council of Deans and as an Ex-Officio member on School and University Councils.
Candidates are expected to have:
- An earned Ph.D. degree from a reputable university, preferably in one of the disciplines of the School and a senior academic rank as professor
- A distinguished research and academic record
- A proven record of administrative and academic leadership in higher education
- A demonstrated commitment to the Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Familiarity with and participation in best practices in the Liberal Arts
- Demonstrated commitment to collaborating with other schools
- A track record of grant development
- A proven record of managerial and budgetary experience
- A proven record of academic program development
- A proven record in recruiting and retaining a diverse population of faculty, students and staff
- An administrative style that demonstrates commitment to shared governance
- A strategic, innovative and forward thinking leadership style
- An innovative approach to teaching and learning assessment and familiarity with information technology innovations for higher education
- A record reflecting high personal integrity and ethical standards
- A clear vision and sense of direction for the school
- An international academic exposure
- Experience in strategic planning and accreditation
Applications should include:
- A letter outlining the applicant's background, qualifications and vision for this position
- A curriculum vitae
- Names of three referees with contact details
To apply, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.