Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic AffairsUniversity Pay Plan Title:
Office of the Provost and VPAARecruitment Type:
Open to AllJob Type:
Commensurate with experienceRequired Qualifications: Applicants must specifically address how they meet these required qualifications to meet the requirements of the position.:
The successful candidate should have the following professional qualifications and personal characteristics:
- A distinguished record in teaching and scholarship with an earned doctorate (or equivalent terminal degree) to warrant an academic appointment at the rank of full professor with tenure in one of Texas State University’s academic departments.
- A progressive and successful record of administrative leadership at a complex, comprehensive university that excels in teaching and research.
- An innovative and entrepreneurial approach; energy and excitement for an ambitious institutional agenda; an understanding of how to effectively manage change within an organization; a systems mindset that sees the big picture of the institution and seeks to align strategies, resources, policies, and procedures with institutional goals; and an understanding of current and future opportunities and challenges in higher education.
- Exceptional skills in resource management, including a proven ability to solve a variety of fiscal, budgetary, personnel, and management challenges in a rapidly changing academic environment.
- A proven record in effectively recruiting, mentoring, and retaining talented leaders and creating a collegial and collaborative environment that leverages their skills and empowers them to succeed.
- A commitment to being a collaborative team member and the ability to work effectively and collegially across all parts of the university to advance the institution’s goals.
- The ability to understand, support, and celebrate the wide range of academic disciplines and programs at Texas State and experience supporting and developing cutting-edge academic offerings by engaging faculty, industry, research entities, and community organizations in discussions about future economic, workforce, scientific, technological, social, and cultural needs. This individual should bring experience evaluating new and existing academic programs to ensure they align with institutional goals.
- A record of advancing student success for a diverse student body and a commitment to creating and sustaining an excellent student experience that includes the highest quality instruction, academic support (including advising and libraries), and co-curricular experiences.
- A demonstrated commitment to supporting faculty excellence, including promoting high-quality and impactful teaching and academic research; experience recruiting and retaining exceptional faculty; and an ability to recognize, leverage, and celebrate faculty strengths across tenure track and nontenure track faculty.
- Experience advancing research, scholarship, and creative activity at an institution and experience supporting high-quality graduate education, including doctoral programs. Texas State University Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs 6
- Excellent interpersonal skills, an engaged listener who genuinely seeks the perspectives of others, a commitment to shared governance and record of successfully navigating a shared governance environment, and the ability to effectively communicate actions and ideas.
Texas State University seeks a provost and executive vice president for academic affairs who can energetically and collaboratively advance the university’s ambitious strategic vision, Hopes and Aspirations High.Job Duties:
The provost will play a key role in examining structures, resource allocation, policies, and procedures to ensure the efforts of faculty, staff, and administrators align with the goals of the university. The next provost must have a deep commitment to shared governance and collaboration. This individual should be deeply committed to listening, engaging, and communicating in this time of excitement and change at Texas State.Additional Information to Applicants:
A detailed leadership profile is available at this link.All applications, nominations, and inquiries are invited. Applications should include, as separate documents, a letter of interest addressing the themes in this profile and a CV or resume. WittKieffer is assisting Texas State University in this search. For fullest consideration, candidate materials should be received by September 22, 2023 Application materials should be submitted using WittKieffer’s candidate portal.Nominations and inquiries can be directed to: Ryan Crawford, Julia Bradley, and Luis Bertot at TXSTProvost@wittkieffer.com.Job Open Date:
08/08/2023Open Until Filled:
YesNormal Work Days:
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, FridayNormal Work Hours Start:
8:00AMNormal Work Hours End:
5:00PMLegal and Required Notices:
Texas State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.Why work @ Texas State? :
Employment with Texas State University is contingent upon the outcome of record checks and verifications including, but not limited to, criminal history, driving records, education records, employment verifications, reference checks, and employment eligibility verifications.
• Amazing health insurance: various coverage options starting your first day of employment for full-time employees with Texas State paying 100% of the employee premium and 50% for your dependents! Quick Link:
• Generous paid time off: vacation, holidays, sick days and many more!
• Excellent work life balance resources: mother and family-friendly resources in addition to a comprehensive FREE wellness program
• Great training and development opportunities: choose from a variety of classroom and online course offerings, learning resources, certifications, and employee educational support programs.
• An inclusive Bobcat community: join our many social networks offered on and off-campus
• Retirement peace of mind: TRS pension, retirement plans and voluntary saving options with generous employer contributions
By joining the Texas State Bobcat team, you’ll be a part of one of the most beautiful, diverse, and growing universities in the nation.