JOB TITLE: Assistant Librarian, Access and Reference Services
DEPARTMENT: Rebecca Crown Library
REPORTS TO: University Librarian
JOB STATUS: Full Time (37.5 hours/week)
PRIMARY PURPOSE/ POSITION SUMMARY:
Provides leadership of effective access services including reference, interlibrary loan, circulation, and stacks maintenance services. Faculty Librarians have reference, collection development, instruction, and general faculty responsibilities.
EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL DOMINICAN EMPLOYEES:
To support the University's mission of preparing students to pursue truth, to give compassionate service, and to participate in the creation of a more just and humane world.
JOB COMPONENTS/PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manages the daily, evening and weekend operations of access services including reference, circulation, interlibrary loan, reserves, and stacks maintenance services.
- Supervises full-time and part-time circulation staff, and part-time reference librarians.
- Supervises training and scheduling of library student employees at all service desks.
- Mentors, trains, and supervises Library graduate reference assistants.
- Manages reference services and participates in the library’s instruction program.
- Maintains collegial relationships with libraries in the CARLI and LIBRAS consortia.
- Develops the Open Educational Resource collection
- Fulfill faculty librarian responsibilities in accordance with the Faculty Handbook
- Participates in the collection development program per the collection development policy.
- Teach one-three credit course per academic year
- Actively participate in the Dominican University shared governance by serving on committees, cross-campus teams, working groups, or other initiatives that advances the university’s mission
- Strong commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, student learning, creativity, and teaching excellence
- Performs other duties as requested, delegated, or assigned.
All qualifications are required unless otherwise indicated.
- M.L.S/M.L.I.S. degree from an ALA-accredited program
- Expertise with current research and reference tools and trends
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills. Works collaboratively and independently with a diverse student body, faculty, and staff.
- Knowledge of, or strong interest in learning best practices for serving students at Hispanic-Serving Institutions as well as first generation college students.
- Demonstrated commitment and enthusiasm in providing compassionate service and teaching to all library users.
- Strong commitment to supporting cultural competencies, diversity, equity and inclusion in higher education.
- Demonstrated potential in teaching, research, and service in ways consistent with university tenure requirements.
- Two years supervisory experience preferred in access services with demonstrated progressive administrative responsibility.
A background screening is required.
Dominican University is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is dedicated to the goal of building an equity-centered faculty and staff committed to teaching, working, and learning in a multicultural environment. Dominican University believes that justice, equity, and inclusion are critical to our growth and development and seek to recruit, develop, and retain from a diverse pool of applicants who bring varied experiences, perspectives, and backgrounds.
If you need accommodations due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.