Professional Tutor, Psychology & Social Sciences
Grand Rapids Community College
1 - 28 hours per week; days and times are flexibleCompensation:
$12.50 - $19.00 depending on qualificationsReports to:
Associate Director, Academic Support & Tutoring Services and TestingClose Date:
Open until filledSummary
This position is responsible to provide direct tutoring for students and may help oversee the operations of the Academic Support & Tutoring Services office. This individual must possess an interest in working with diverse learners from a wide range of age, ethnicity and national origin.Essential Job Functions
• Provide individual and group tutoring in content-specific courses in both face-to-face and online formats.
• Demonstrate proficiency with the curriculum of the GRCC courses in assigned content area.
• Establish and maintain a working relationship with faculty and staff regarding course materials, procedures, and content.
• Maintain a positive, warm, welcoming environment for Academic Support & Tutoring Services.
• Promote and develop the academic success of students by encouraging a positive attitude through independent, self-actualized learning.
• Explain Center policies to staff and students; model and ensure policy compliance.
• Assist students with sign-in procedures and connecting with a tutor.
• Discuss Center services with students during class visitations.
• Provide students with Center resources (tip-sheets, handbooks, etc.) as needed.
• Check email daily during work week and maintain professional communication.
• Keep the Associate Director informed of any problems experienced in the Center by students or staff; report absenteeism to Associate Director.
• Attend required meeting and training sessions hosted by Academic Support and Tutorial Services.
• Complete online and in-person trainings mandated by the college.
• Refer students to resources and services on campus not offered in the ASTS Center, such as computer assistance and technology tutoring.
• Provide classroom visits to educate students about the resources found at the ASTS Center.
• Perform opening and closing duties as needed.
• Maintain clean work environment.
• Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.Experience and/ or Education
• Associate Degree or equivalent in Social Sciences disciplines (PS, SO, HS, GE), Bachelor Degree preferred.
• Experience teaching/tutoring college-level reading and writing also preferred.Other Skills and Abilities
• Possess strong service skills with a student-oriented focus.
• Demonstrate ability to work cooperatively and maintain rapport with students, staff, faculty, and administration.
• Exhibit ability to assist students of various cultural, ethnic and educational backgrounds by being helpful, patient, encouraging, and understanding.
• Possess ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, to assist students and staff in a professional manner.
• Demonstrate interest in assessing effectiveness as a professional tutor; participate in professional development trainings/workshops as needed and/or assigned.
• Demonstrate professionalism and other qualities including courtesy, patience, confidentiality, dependability, promptness, and organization.Physical Demands
• This position requires regular interactions with students that may involve moving around the tutorial center, standing while providing in person tutoring, or long periods of sitting while providing virtual support.
• Must be able to lift up to 20 pounds.Mental Demands
• Ability to adapt and work in a fast paced, team-based, collaborative environment.
• Customer service-oriented, with the ability to relate well to a diverse array of campus clients, including faculty, staff and students.
• Ability to work under pressure.
• Strong organizational skills to work with multiple students at one time.
• Analytical and problem-solving abilities.
• High level of creativity, energy, enthusiasm and motivation.
• Must possess initiative and be able to work independently and ask for guidance when needed.
• Ability to use good judgment when handling confidential, or sensitive, college material.Working Conditions
• The work environment is team-oriented.
• This position requires the individual to transition smoothly between independent and collaborative efforts.
• Grand Rapids Community College will comply with any mandated health and safety requirements. Employees will be directed to our GRCC Policy(s) for compliance information.METHOD OF APPLICATION
Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position at https://jobs.grcc.edu/psc/job/EXTERNAL_APPLICANT/GRCC_HR/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_SCHJOB_FL&Action=U
. The posting will remain open until filled. Please include your resume and cover letter in one document. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The College will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency