Adjunct Faculty- Music, Middle College
Grand Rapids Community College
Fall and Winter SemestersCompensation:
Consistent with Faculty Association contract (page 119) Start Date:
Fall 2023Reports to:
Associate Dean, School of Liberal ArtsPosting Close Date:
Open until filledSUMMARY
The College is interested in seeking candidates to teach MU 110: Appreciation of World and Western Music at our Middle College site in Kenowa Hills and possibly other locations. These classes involve teaching college-level material to upper-level high school students as part of GRCC¿s Middle College program. The candidate must be available to teach Tuesday and Thursday between 7:45am and 1:45 pm in the fall semester. There is potential to teach in future semesters as well. A criminal background check will be conducted on all finalists prior to employment with Grand Rapids Community College.
• Teach general education music courses to students enrolled in the middle college program.
• Maintain accurate course records and submit related reports as requested.
• Effectively assess student performance.
• Create a safe and inclusive learning environment for students.
• Incorporate new technologies and methods that enhance teaching and learning into his/her instructional methods.
• Support the Department and College through other work normally expected of adjunct faculty members.JOB SPECIFICATIONS
Education and Credentials
• Master's Degree or PhD in Music or a closely related field with at least 18 graduate credits in the teaching discipline.
• Teaching experience is preferred but not required.
• High School teaching experience is preferred.
• Experience working with students from diverse backgrounds and with varying academic skills.
• Participation in professional development and/or continuous improvement activities
Equipment Use/Knowledge/Skills/Abilities required
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Demonstrated initiative and problem-solving abilities.
• Ability to perform routine and unexpected duties with minimum supervision.
• An understanding of and appreciation for the community college philosophy and student population.
• An interest in teaching college-level material to high school students as part of a middle college or dual enrollment program.
• An interest in working with diverse student populations, who represent a wide range of age, ethnicity, national origin and ability.
• Interest in and willingness to work with changing instructional technologies used in and out of the classroom.
• Willingness and availability to work a flexible schedule.
• High energy level with enthusiasm and interest in helping and supporting students, staff, and the general public.
• Ability to work under pressure while possessing mature judgment and flexibility in regards to interruptions and schedule changes.
• Must use good judgment in handling sensitive or difficult situations in a pleasant and professional manner.
• Must have the physical capacity for standing and sitting for technique demonstration.
• Applied Teaching Studio environment in an academic setting.METHOD OF APPLICATION
To apply for this position, please visit our website at https://jobs.grcc.edu/psc/job/EXTERNAL_APPLICANT/GRCC_HR/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_SCHJOB_FL&Action=U
. Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position. In one document submit a cover letter, resume, unofficial transcript(s), and three professional reference letters for full consideration. This position will be open until filled. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Visa sponsorship is not available.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The college will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation. Further information may be obtained from the EEO Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency