OPS Communication Assistant Location:
Tallahassee, FL Regular/Temporary:
Temporary Full/Part Time: Job ID:
This position will provide general support to the Executive Director of Communications, the Editor and the entire University Advancement Communications team.
As a member of the Communications team, the assistant will write and edit content for a variety of projects (including print, web, mobile, video, and social media), working closely with the Editor to brainstorm ideas, develop concepts and articulate messaging. This position will also manage and distribute mass electronic communications via e-mail campaigns.
- Thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative environment with a high-volume workload often requiring short turnaround times
- Read and edit content for spelling, punctuation, grammar and clarity
- Manage and distribute mass electronic communications via e-mail campaigns.
- Verify facts cited in materials for print and digital publication
- Develop story and content ideas according to the publication’s style and editorial policy
- Assist the Editor in Chief and other Alumni staff with writing, editing and proofreading letters, programs, scripts, press releases, invitations, website, and advertisements. Assist in maintain content on websites and other electronic platforms.
- Provide research and subject matter briefs to the Editor, through online searches, reviews of existing research, interviews with subject-matter experts and in-person meetings
- Oversee the post-production process for the magazine and related clerical tasks
- Communicate directly with the communications and departmental staff on project status, needs and expected deadlines. Provide support and assist with development and implementation for social media content.
- Perform other related duties as assigned and protect confidential information.
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Four or more years of academic or professional writing experience, with a solid portfolio of work.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Moderate to strong editing and copywriting skills.
- Exceptional research and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently or with a team to meet deadlines.
- Excellent organizational skills and multitasking ability.
- Experience using email marketing software.
- Proofreading experience and familiarity with AP Style.
- Experience working with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Keen eye for detail and appreciation of great design.
One of the nation's elite research universities, Florida State University preserves, expands, and disseminates knowledge in the sciences, technology, arts, humanities, and professions, while embracing a philosophy of learning strongly rooted in the traditions of the liberal arts and critical thinking. Founded in 1851, Florida State University is the oldest continuous site of higher education in Florida. FSU is a community steeped in tradition that fosters research, encourages creativity, and embraces diversity. At FSU, there’s the excitement of being part of a vibrant academic and professional community, surrounded by people whose ideas are shaping tomorrow’s news!
Learn more about our university and campuses.
Anticipated Salary Range
Pay: $13 per hour at 20 hours per week.
How To Apply
If qualified and interested in a specific job opening as advertised, apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu. If you are a current FSU employee, apply via myFSU > Self Service.
Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include all work history up to ten years, and education details even if attaching a resume.
This is an OPS/temporary job.
Based on the duties, this position may require completion of a criminal history background check.
This position is being advertised as open until filled.
The hiring committee will review applications as received
Equal Employment Opportunity
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer.
FSU's Equal Opportunity Statement can be accessed at: https://hr.fsu.edu/sites/g/files/upcbnu2186/files/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf.