Current UC employees must apply internally via SuccessFactors > http://bit.ly/UCEMPL
Founded in 1819, the University of Cincinnati ranks among the nation’s best urban public research universities. Home to nearly 48,000 students, about 11,000 faculty and staff and 332,000 alumni, UC combines a Top 35 public research university with a physical setting The New York Times calls “the most ambitious campus design program in the country.”
With the launch of Next Lives Here, the Cincinnati Innovation District, a $100 million JobsOhio investment, eight straight years of record enrollment, worldwide leadership in cooperative education, a dynamic academic health center and entry into the Big 12 athletic conference, UC’s momentum has never been stronger. UC’s annual budget tops $1.65 billion and its endowment totals $1.8 billion.
The Institute for Research in Sensing (IRiS) is a recently established interdisciplinary research institute at the University of Cincinnati focused on novel routes to innovation in sensing research and sensor technology development through purposeful integration of STEM and non-STEM perspectives, including basic and applied research, medicine, engineering, the humanities, social sciences, and fine and performing arts. We are seeking a postdoctoral associate interested in interdisciplinary research management and innovation in interdisciplinary practices to serve as program manager for a range of IRiS activities in collaboration with the IRiS Leadership Team.
The postdoctoral fellow will also have the opportunity to engage in scholarship and professional development in their discipline and in interdisciplinary research practices and management, with an annual discretionary budget ($5,000) to support related travel and/or research expenses. Time spent on research versus IRiS activities will depend in part on alignment between the postdoc’s research focus and institute programming, but we expect a minimum of 40% of the postdoc’s time will be spent on their own research and scholarship.
The postdoctoral fellow will be mentored by the IRiS Director (Dr. Nathan Morehouse) and a faculty mentor of their choice within their discipline, with additional support from the IRiS Leadership Team, a group of 8 faculty and staff members with diverse disciplinary experience. The position is a 1-year contract, including benefits, renewable for up to 1 additional year (2 years total) contingent on positive annual performance evaluations. Further funding beyond this initial 2 years will depend on success at garnering additional sources of external funding.Essential Functions
- Coordination of the IRiS Graduate Research Fellows Program. Interdisciplinary teams of fellows (4 per team, 16 fellows total) will spend a year in intensive training and team-taught coursework focused on interdisciplinary problem-solving and innovation to address “Grand Challenges” posed by external partners from the private and public sector. The postdoc may be involved in co-teaching and/or mentoring one of the fellow teams during the academic year.
- Coordination of the IRiS Alloy Discussion Series, a recurring series of interdisciplinary discussions on current topics in sensing research and sensor technology development (4 per academic year).
- Coordination of IRiS Ignite, a two-day “expo and festival of sensing” that brings together members of the academic community, public, and private sector to discuss the future of sensing, from basic research to applied technologies, and from speculative futures to ethical and legal issues.
- Coordination of IRiS website content, social media accounts, and media relations.
- Contributing to proposal writing efforts for programmatic and infrastructural grants at federal agencies and private foundations as well as fundraising efforts through the UC Foundation.
- Assistance with long-term institute planning, including helping to prepare content for and participate in discussions during meetings with the External and Internal Advisory Boards.
- Efforts to support our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusivity in all of the institute’s activities.
- Assistance with the coordination of External partners.
Doctoral degree in a field relevant to sensing research and/or interdisciplinary studies, including, but not limited to:
- Biomedical Engineering
- Computer Science
- Education or Education Research
- Electrical Engineering
- Interdisciplinary Studies
- Literary Studies
- Materials Science
- Mechanical Engineering
- Media Studies
- Science and Technology Studies
Please complete the online application and attach the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Research/Scholarly Background and Interests (2 pages max)
- Statement of Alignment Between Career Goals and the IRiS Postdoc Position (1 page max)
- Letters of Reference (3)
Please use the Additional Documents option as needed for these documents.
Compensation and Benefits
UC offers a wide array of complementary and affordable benefit options, to meet the financial, educational, health, and wellness needs of you and your family. Eligibility varies by position and FTE.
- Competitive starting salary of $47,500.
- Comprehensive insurance plans including medical, dental, vision, and prescription coverage.
- Flexible spending accounts and an award-winning employee wellness program, plus an employee assistance program.
- Financial security via our life and long-term disability insurance, accident and illness insurance, and retirement savings plans.
- Generous paid time off work options including vacation, sick leave, annual holidays, and winter season days in addition to paid parental leave.
- Tuition remission is available for employees and their eligible dependents.
- Enjoy discounts for on and off-campus activities and services.
The University of Cincinnati, as a multi-national and culturally diverse university, is committed to providing an inclusive, equitable and diverse place of learning and employment. As part of a complete job application you will be asked to include a Contribution to Diversity and Inclusion statement.
The University of Cincinnati is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer / Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran.