PG192691EPInternal Recruitment :
Assistant Professor, Industrial Design (Human-Centered Design and Technology)Anticipated Hiring Range:
$75,000 - $78,000Work Schedule:
Varies depending on course schedule. Evenings/weekends may be needed occasionally.Job Location:
Raleigh, NCDepartment :
Graphic & Industrial DesignAbout the Department:
Industrial Design is positioned in the Department of Graphic Design and Industrial Design, along with the Graphic and Experience Design undergraduate and graduate programs, within the College of Design. The College of Design additionally offers comprehensive undergraduate and graduate study in architecture and media arts; graduate study in landscape architecture and environmental planning; and doctoral study in design. The College of Design employs a selective admissions process, and entering students consistently rank at the top of academic achievement at NC State University, while the College of Design graduation rate is consistently the highest or among the highest at NC State.Essential Job Duties:
Industrial Design (ID) faculty meet to coordinate curricula and events, and Industrial Design and Graphic and Experience Design (GXD) faculty meet together for departmental coordination.
The Bachelor of Industrial Design (BID) and Master of Industrial Design (MID) programs take a human-centered approach to the design and development of products and systems. They utilize empathetic research methodologies, employ effective problem-solving methods, utilize visualization strategies, and apply their expertise to tackle challenges in the context of products, systems, services, and experiences.
Alumni are designers in technology companies and leading design firms such as IBM, Lenovo, Dell Technologies, BCG Platinion, Willowtree, Techtronic Industries, Focused Labs, and Infinity AI.
The Industrial Design Program in the College of Design at North Carolina State University is seeking applicants for a full-time, tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor of Industrial Design who has a passion for blending design technology and product development. This position aims to contribute to the department’s research and education program pertaining to design methods, emerging technologies, and/or sustainable practices.
The ideal candidate should demonstrate a strong interest in collaborating with multi-disciplinary teams at NCSU, leveraging cutting-edge technologies, and embracing the principles of industrial design to tackle emerging challenges. The ideal candidate will establish a research and education program that explores product design and development with emerging technologies, new materials or processes, and/or sustainable practices.
The successful candidate will be responsible for establishing a research agenda, actively pursuing interdisciplinary and industry collaborations, generating scholarly work, and demonstrating potential in securing funding for graduate students. The successful candidate will teach and advise undergraduate and graduate students in the Industrial Design Program, encompassing both lecture and studio-based courses. Additional responsibilities include curriculum development, active participation in recruitment efforts, and engagement in service to the program, college, university, community, and profession. This individual is expected to serve on the Ph.D. in Design and/or the Doctor of Design faculty.
Essential duties for the position include:
- Teach 18 credits per year (6-credit studios and 3-credit courses) in the Bachelor of Industrial Design (BID) and/or Master of Industrial Design (MID) programs
- Develop and maintain an active and significant research record
- Participate in the BID and MID admissions
- Advise BID students
- Advise MID students as chair or member on final project committees
- Participate in MID reviews
- Develop curriculum with program faculty
Minimum Education and Experience:
- Serve on the program, department, college, and university committees
- Participate in select outreach activities
- Participate in open-house events
- Engage with BID and MID alumni
Terminal degree or equivalent experience (MID/MDes/MFA or Ph.D./DDes) in industrial design or terminal degree in an equivalent field of study (such as experience design, user interaction, human-computer interaction, product design engineering) from an accredited university completed by August 15, 2024.Other Required Qualifications:
- Strong knowledge of emerging technologies. Current with trends, advancements, and best practices in design technology, and show enthusiasm for integrating them into teaching, research, and creative endeavors.
- Expert skills in product design and development, including concept generation, prototyping, manufacturing processes, and human-centered design.
- Able to contribute to the excellence of the academic community through research, creative, and scholarly activities, teaching, advising and service.
Required License(s) or Certification(s):
- One–two years of professional design experience.
- One year of teaching experience in Industrial Design, or a related field, at the university level (this may include teaching assistantships). Ideally, a combination of practice-based studio and lecture-based course experience in a post-secondary education environment is preferred.
- Record of active participation in professional organizations.
- Skilled as a cross-disciplinary collaborator who can advance and advocate for design across campus.
N/AValid NC Driver's License required:
NoCommercial Driver's License required:
NoJob Open Date:
06/29/2023Anticipated Close Date:
Open Until FilledSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
Applicants are required to submit:Position Number:
(1) Cover Letter – letter of intent describing qualifications and interests
(3) Digital research and/or professional portfolio (upload under “other document 1”)
(4) Research statement that includes a plan for scholarly production
(5) Teaching portfolio (upload under “other document 2”)
(6) Contact information for three references
Review of applications will begin November 20, 2023, and continue until the position is filled. Please send inquiries to search committee chair Kelly Umstead (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Tenured/Tenure-Track FacultyFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
9 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Non Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Non Mandatory - Emergency EventDepartment ID:
120301 - Graphic & Industrial DesignAA/EEO:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran. Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process are welcome to contact 919-515-3148 to speak with a representative at the Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or email@example.com.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.