Job no: 519715
Position type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass President's Office
Campus Location: Westborough
Department: University Auditor
Categories: Internal Audit
Advertised: Nov 01 2023 Eastern Daylight Time
Under the guidance of Internal Audit Management and senior auditors, the Compliance Auditor I supports Internal Audit’s goals by taking part in evaluating the adequacy and effectiveness of the University’s compliance with policies and state and federal regulations, related operations and internal controls. Assignments will include, but not be limited to compliance and operational audits and investigations.
The Compliance Auditor I will be responsible for performing audit assignments in accordance with policies established by the University Board of Trustees, The Institute of Internal Auditors’ Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing and Code of Ethics (“Standards”), Internal Audit Policies and Procedures and applicable regulations.
- With oversight and direction from senior staff and management, assist in research and the preparation of audit programs and audit procedures.
- Participate in interviews with University personnel.
- Interact with administrators, faculty, and staff.
- Perform tests of internal controls and determines compliance with applicable regulations, policies and procedures.
- Follow-up on test exceptions to determine validity.
- Organize workpapers to support conclusions.
- Draft and review audit observations with senior auditors.
- Follow-up on management’s action plans.
- Keep abreast of institution policies and procedures, current developments in operations, regulations and auditing, as applicable.
- Think critically and exercise professional skepticism, judgment and discretion.
- Effectively learn the business of higher education via on the job training.
- Manage time to efficiently work on, meet milestones and complete assignments within budgeted time.
- Perform special assignments and other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration, information technology or related discipline or equivalent.
- 0-3 years of business experience
- Possess ability to acquire, understand and utilize auditing methods, concepts, Standards and tools
- Possess ability to understand regulations, policy and procedures
- Inquisitive and can demonstrate analytical skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written
- Possess the ability to manage several tasks simultaneously
- Effectively communicate observations and conclusions
- Work semi-independently and execute research using a variety of technical and manual tools
- Proficiency in computer software such as Microsoft Office Suite, including Outlook, Word and Excel
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- Auditing and or regulatory compliance experience
- Familiar with Standards and working towards, or has attained an audit certification, e.g., CPA and CIA
- Experience with electronic audit workpaper technology
- PeopleSoft experience
- ACL, SQL or other data mining experience
- Higher education experience
- Typical office environment
- May require occasional in-state travel to all UMass campuses, the Boston central office and other University locations
- May require periodic extended hours, nights and weekends, as necessary
Salary commensurate with experience up to $65,000.