Job no: 518224
Position type: Internship
Campus: UMass President's Office
Campus Location: Beacon Street-Boston
Department: Academic Affairs
Categories: Research, Academic Affairs
Advertised: Mar 16 2023 Eastern Daylight Time
Primary Work Location:
Primarily located at One Beacon Street, Boston offices, with regular remote work.
The University of Massachusetts Office of the President seeks an Intern in the division of Academic Affairs & Economic Development (AAED). The internship is ideal for a UMass undergraduate or graduate student who is eager to learn, inspired to think analytically, excited by public service, and motivated to communicate complicated ideas clearly.
The selected intern will gain valuable insights into the management and organization of a large, public research university system – including strategic planning, research, and analysis related to innovation-led economic development, entrepreneurship, and technology transfer. The internship will be project-based and require frequent collaboration with colleagues at AAED, the broader President’s Office, and campuses. The AAED team strives to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the University and is constantly researching and implementing new strategic initiatives to aid the University in its mission.
This internship is Part-time with a pay rate of $16 per hour. In addition to being a paid internship, academic credit may also be available.
The intern will provide support to the Economic Development team by:
- Researching and analyzing best practices in higher education administration
- Analyzing and presenting key qualitative and quantitative data for AAED leadership
- Creating innovative presentations of analysis for a variety of audiences
- Assisting the Office of Technology Commercialization and Ventures team with key projects
- Providing general administrative support
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- Current UMass student enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program of study
- GPA 3.0 or higher.
- Interest in higher education, public policy/administration, and/or financial management
- Familiar with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and comfortable with new technology
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, work both independently and as part of a team, and think strategically
- Strong communication skills both verbally and in writing
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Strong interpersonal skills and a friendly and professional demeanor
- Hybrid work environment. Primarily located at One Beacon Street offices, with regular remote work.
- Any offers of an internship within the President's Office is specifically conditioned upon the potential candidate consenting to and successfully completing a background review.
Completed applications will include a resume, cover letter and contact information for three references.