Dean, Adult Education and LiteracyPosition Type:
AdministrationStatus of Position:
Staff - Full TimeUnion:
The Dean of Adult Education and Literacy is responsible for the development and coordination of the Adult Education and Literacy programs that include: adult basic, adult secondary, English as a second language, adult literacy, bridge, integrated career and academic preparation system (ICAPS), distance learning, college preparation and all other required programs.Reporting and Supervisory Relationships:
- Direct reporting relationship to the Vice President Academic Affairs
- Direct supervisory relationship with faculty and support staff employees.
- Direct project supervision and budget management in collaboration with other departments.
- Direct building oversight and coordination with the American Job Center and ATOC employees for the Adult Training and Outreach Center in collaboration with Facilities and ITR.
- Provides leadership for the assessment of district needs and for the continued development of a comprehensive and aggressive adult education and literacy program for the service district.
- Plans, directs and oversees the operations of adult education programs and other services as related to funding and college requirements.
- Serves as Chair for the Area Planning Committee for District 515.
- Advocates and interprets the Adult Education program to civic, community and other organizations or groups in the district.
- Develops proposals for state and federally funded adult education programs; assists with additional grant opportunities and alternate funding sources.
- Initiates action for recruitment of Adult Education and Literacy faculty and staff including reviewing credentials, interviewing and recommending employment, and all other personnel activities.
- Serves as liaison with other instructional divisions and departments in order to promote
- cooperative relationships.
- Develops long-range strategic and marketing plans for the department.
- Develops, in consultation with chair and coordinators, a master schedule that maximizes enrollment and responds to students’ needs; develops new courses and programs in compliance with funding requirements.
- Evaluates all tenure-track and tenured faculty, prepares pre- and post-tenure reviews, and makes tenure recommendations.
- Supports and advises chairs and coordinators on academic matters and attends departmental meetings as warranted.
- Promotes and facilitates faculty development.
- Works with coordinators in mentoring and evaluating adjunct faculty; provides final approval for adjunct hiring, and oversees their reassignment in adherence to the adjunct faculty contract.
- Supports and advises faculty on student issues and administers the process for addressing student concerns, waivers and appeals.
- Develops and maintains proper budgeting, fiscal and personnel resources, report preparation and management within assigned area areas.
- Serves as liaison between the adult education and literacy program and College for the South Suburban American Job Center at Prairie State College
- Represents the College in state and national organizations and establishes linkages with local, regional, national and state resources.
- Serves on state, regional, and local organizations; establishes linkages with district and college partnerships.
- Assumes responsibility for the outcome and success of the department and its contribution to the institution and district.
- Serves on college, state, national and WIOA committees.
- Assumes other duties as assigned by the Vice President of Academic Affairs.
- Master’s degree.
- Three years’ management experience specifically in adult education and literacy.
- Two years’ experience in program planning as related to state funding and WIOA requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with various groups internally and externally.
- Demonstrated excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated excellent organizational and time management skills.
Anticipated Work Hours and Days:
- Doctorate in education or associated field with course work in adult education.
- Three years of adult education and literacy experience at the dean/director level.
- Five years of academic administration and budget management, preferably in a community college.
- Experience managing Union faculty and staff.
Monday thru Friday; 8a.m. to 4:30 p.m.Salary:
minimum starting $91,645; salary commensurate with experiencePosting Date:
07/27/2023Open Until Filled:
YesSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
All applications must be submitted electronically. For full consideration please apply by August 15, 2023