Security Sensitive Position?:
YesHours of Work:
TSU202475Official TSU Title:
ADJUNCT INSTRUCTOR COMMUNICATIONGrant Title:
N/AJob Description Summary / TWC Summary:
The adjunct instructor for Communication Studies reports to the Chair of Communication Studies and Dean of the School of Communication and is responsible for supporting and advancing the mission and goals of the university and the college/school in all academic, scholarly and student support activities. The adjunct instructor typically teaches 3-6 semester credit hours of assigned courses in Communication Studies. Adjunct faculty members provide quality learning experience for students and support the educational philosophy, mission, and vision of Texas Southern University, the School of Communication, and the department of Communication Studies. The adjunct faculty position requires faculty to teach undergraduate or graduate level courses in Communication Studies. Essential Duties Summary:
- Develop teaching materials, take an active role in the assessment process, perform grading and reporting tasks accurately and in a timely manner.
- May assist with departmental projects and programs, and attend departmental meetings as requested. Faculty will perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Work in a collaborative manner with colleagues and adhere to all the policies and procedures outlined in the Texas Southern University Faculty Manual, Undergraduate Catalog, and MAPP policies.
- Supports and advances the mission and goals of the university and the college/school in all academic and scholarly activities.
- May develop curriculum and course content. May also select text books for inclusion in curriculum content.
- Teaches courses in various mediums (traditional, on-line, blended) as assigned to college level students.
- May cover other classes for instructors who are absent.
- Establishes and holds office hours for students to receive counseling and advice on class requirements.
- Participates in college/school activities requiring faculty presence.
- May serve on college/school/ and university committees as required.
- Develop teaching materials. Perform grading and reporting tasks accurately and in a timely manner.
- Take an active role in the assessment process.
- Attend departmental meetings as requested and assist with departmental projects and programs.
- Performs other job-related duties as required.
Commensurate with experience.Education:
Requires at least 18 graduate-level hours in Communication Studies. Master of Arts in Communication Studies or higher from an accredited college or university. Or Master’s Degree or higher in a closely related field from an accredited college or university.Required Licensing/Certification:
N/AKnowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Microsoft Office Professional or similar applications.
- Online platforms utilized to support teaching of specialized content.
- Problem-solving and decision-making.
- Command of technical and functional procedures, processes and subject matter in Communication Studies to perform diverse teaching and teaching related responsibilities.
- Strong time management.
- Both verbal and written communication.
- Prepare detailed reports.
- Submit attendance and grade reports by stated deadlines.
- Make sound independent decisions within the context of the departmental, community, and university environments.
- Work independently.
Prolonged standing and/or walking.Handling light weight objects.Using or carrying equipment. UA EEO Statement:
It is the policy of Texas Southern University to provide a work environment that is free from discrimination for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, individuals with disability, sexual orientation, or protected veteran status in its programs, activities, admissions or employment policies. This policy of equal opportunity is strictly observed in all University employment-related activities such as advertising, recruiting, interviewing, testing, employment training, compensation, promotion, termination, and employment benefits. This policy expressly prohibits harassment and discrimination in employment based on race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, genetic history, national origin, individuals with disability, age, citizenship status, or protected veteran status. This policy shall be adhered to in accordance with the provisions of all applicable federal, state and local laws, including, but not limited to, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act. Open Until Filled (overrides close field) :
Manual of Administrative Policies and Procedures
NoSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
Open to all applicants.