Adjunct Faculty in Environmental Science (Multiple Courses) Department of Biology or Chemistry and Physical ScienceDivision:
College of Arts & SciencesDepartment:
Main CampusJob Description:
As a part of a diverse community of faculty and staff who represent many faith systems and worldviews, the Departments of Biology and Chemistry and Physical Sciences at Marian University in Indianapolis, IN seek interested Adjunct Faculty to teach laboratories in Evolution and Ecology and Science, the Environment, and Society courses. Adjunct Faculty in these courses will promote our Catholic Franciscan mission and identity by demonstrating academic excellence and the potential for distinctive contributions to the holistic development of students.
Applicants with any level of education in Environmental Science or a related field will be considered. Appointments may begin as early as Fall 2023. Specific courses and academic terms to be determined in consultation with the Chairs of Biology and Chemistry and Physical Sciences based on instructional need. Both Biology and Chemistry and Physical Sciences reside in the School of Science and Mathematics which is part of the College of Arts and Sciences. The departments offer both Bachelor’s of Arts degrees and Bachelor’s of Science degrees in addition to contributing to the University’s “Transformational Journey” General Education program.
The department recognizes the breadth of people, thought, and experience that contribute to research, education, and related professions in the sciences. We welcome everyone interested in undergraduate education in environmental topics as we work to build a community that is diverse, respectful, accessible, and inclusive. We are committed to ensuring equitable access to opportunities and resources for people of any race, ethnicity, religious belief, gender identity, age, economic background, disability status, or any other social or physical component of their identity. Through our curriculum, our classrooms, our scholarship, our outreach to the community, and ourselves, we seek to acknowledge and carefully address existing biases, barriers, and uses and abuses of power and privilege. This commitment to reducing discrimination and promoting diversity and inclusion is rooted in the Franciscan Values of Marian University, which make social justice an indispensable part of our calling.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively engage the Catholic Franciscan mission and identity of Marian University by modeling the Franciscan Sponsorship Values and honoring the legacy of the founding congregation through transformative education, unity in diversity, leadership through service, integrating faith and life, and institutional policies.
- Teach one or more laboratory course(s) per semester by arrangement with either the Chair of Biology or the Chair of Chemistry and Physical Sciences.
- Collaborate closely with the Center for Academic Success and Engagement, Counseling Center, Campus Security and Support, Dining Services, Student Activities and Orientation, the Exchange, Athletics, Student Health Center and Campus Ministry to connect residents to on-campus resources and provide residents with support.
- Demonstrate cultural competence in race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity expression, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, ability, ideology, religion, national origin, and other areas of diversity.
- A Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Environmental Science, Biology, or a related field.
- Enthusiasm for experiential undergraduate education
- A commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion that ensures all types of students can succeed.
- Master’s degree or 18 graduate credit hours in Environmental Science, Biology, or a related field.
- Experience with Canvas Learning Management System
P014AOpen Until Filled:
NoSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
Please Review Marian University’s Mission & Identity Statement before responding to the supplementary questions on your application:Quicklink for Posting: