Professors of Practice in Computer Science (Multiple Positions) Department of Mathematical and Computational ScienceDivision:
College of Arts & SciencesDepartment:
Main CampusJob Description:
As a part of a diverse community of faculty and staff who represent many faith systems and worldviews, the Department of Mathematical and Computational Sciences at Marian University in Indianapolis, IN seeks interested practitioners for the position of Professor of Practice in Computer Science. Professors of Practice in Computer Science will promote our Catholic Franciscan mission and identity by demonstrating academic excellence and the potential for distinctive contributions to the holistic development of students.
Applicants with any level of Computer Science education, at least 5 years of work experience, and a passion for undergraduate teaching are invited to apply. Area of specialization is open, but candidates should be able to assist the department in one or more of the following areas: Data Structures and Algorithms, Computer Graphics, Operating Systems, Programming Languages, Computer Architecture, Information Technology, and Database Systems. Professors of Practice will also facilitate relationships with their full-time employer for undergraduate project and internship opportunities. Appointments may begin as early as January 2024. Specific courses and academic terms to be determined by the Chair of Mathematical and Computational Sciences based on instructional need.
The Department of Mathematical and Computational Science at Marian University is a collaborative academic community committed to fostering student engagement, problem solving, and communication. The department offers degrees in both Mathematics and Computer Science in order to develop transformative leaders for service to the world in a variety of areas of business, government, and education. The department recognizes the breadth of people, thought, and experience that contribute to research, education, and related professions in the mathematical sciences. We welcome everyone interested in mathematics, statistics, computer science, and related fields as we work to build a community that is diverse, respectful, accessible, and inclusive. We are committed to ensuring equitable access to opportunities and resources for people of any race, ethnicity, religious belief, gender identity, age, economic background, disability status, or any other social or physical component of their identity. Through our curriculum, our classrooms, our scholarship, our outreach to the community, and ourselves, we seek to acknowledge and carefully address existing biases, barriers, and uses and abuses of power and privilege. This commitment to reducing discrimination and promoting diversity and inclusion is rooted in the Franciscan Values of Marian University, which make social justice an indispensable part of our calling.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively engage the Catholic Franciscan mission and identity of Marian University by modeling the Franciscan Sponsorship Values and honoring the legacy of the founding congregation through transformative education, unity in diversity, leadership through service, integrating faith and life, and institutional policies.
- Teach up to one course per semester by arrangement with the Chair of Mathematical and Computational Sciences and the Computer Science faculty.
- Provide connectivity with The Exchange toward internship and employment opportunities in the field.
- Engage in research, scholarship, and other professional activities.
- Mentor students through projects, research, and internship opportunities as able.
- A Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Computers Science.
- 3+ years as a practicing computer scientist.
- Enthusiasm for experiential undergraduate education
- A commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion that ensures all types of students can succeed.
Review of applications will begin immediately. Terms begin in August and January. Review will continue based on capacity and need. Applications require a cover letter, a current resume or CV, and responses to the supplemental mission questions.
Marian University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.Posting Number:
P012AOpen Until Filled:
YesSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
Please Review Marian University’s Mission & Identity Statement before responding to the supplementary questions on your application:Quicklink for Posting: