Apply now to join FAU on its race to excellence. For more information on everything FAU has to offer, please visit www.fau.edu/jobs. Position Summary:
The Schmidt College of Medicine at Florida Atlantic University seeks scholars who are committed to supporting the learning needs of students from diverse backgrounds and to engaging communities underrepresented in higher education. Florida Atlantic University is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community. In building this environment, we strive to attract students, faculty and staff from a variety of cultures, backgrounds and life experiences. Florida Atlantic University embodies a culture of strategic and collaborative community engagement that results in mutual benefit to the institution and the diverse internal and external communities that it serves.
The FAU Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine seeks a dynamic and collaborative faculty member at the rank of Assistant/Associate/Professor to serve as the Assistant Dean for Student Affairs.
The mission of the Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine as a community-based medical school is to advance the health and well-being of our community by training future generations of humanistic clinicians and scientists and translating discovery to patient-centered care. We are committed to providing educational programs, in partnership with our hospital affiliates, that enable our medical students and residents to become active, self-directed, life-long learners; equip our graduates to effectively treat the patients that they are most likely to encounter in their practices; demonstrate a commitment to inclusiveness and belonging; produce graduates with the knowledge, skills, attitudes, and self-awareness required to practice effective, humanistic, patient-centered, evidence-based medicine; emphasize the centrality of collaborative relationships in the provision of the highest quality comprehensive health care; and foster and value collaboration among medical specialties, and between academic medicine and community health care professionals.
The Assistant Dean for Student Affairs will have the following specific responsibilities:
- Serve as an academic, professional, and career advisor and mentor to students
- Provide career, professional, and personal development to students
- Serve as a primary contact to students facing academic, professional, personal, and/or financial challenges and refer students to appropriate resources
- Lead the medical student coaching and advising programs across all 4 years of medical school
- Develop and provide coaching training sessions to faculty and staff to enhance student support services
- Develop and lead professional identity formation activities for students
- Deliver the AAMC Careers in Medicine curriculum
- Develop additional student support programs to enhance the success of medical students
- Assist in establishment of a student culture focused on respect and belonging
- Collaborate with FAU Counseling and Psychological Services in continued implementation of mental health counseling programs specific for medical students
- Refer students to the FAU Student Accessibility Services as needed for accommodation needs
- Understand all policies contained in the Medical student Handbook and assist in revising and/or developing new policies as needed
- Assist in maintaining an effective system for provision of health services to students
- Assist in continued quality improvement initiatives for the Office of Student Affairs and Admissions
- Actively participate in AAMC Group on Student Affairs and serve as an ambassador for FAU Schmidt College of Medicine
- Deliver presentations and participate in activities related to the Office of Student Affairs and Admissions including consistently during the Medical Student Admissions Cycle
- Attend and assist in planning Student Affairs events including, but not limited to, Orientation, White Coat Ceremony, Match Day, and Graduation
- Refer any student circumstances to the Senior Associate Dean for Student Affairs and Admissions that require higher level of administrative involvement
- Serve in any additional roles determined by the Senior Associate Dean for Student Affairs and Admissions to further support the Office of Student Affairs and Admissions and the College of Medicine’s strategic goals
- The position will be 80% administrative support to the Office of Student Affairs and will report to the Senior Associate Dean for Student Affairs and Admissions
- The remaining 20% of the position will be determined by the Dean of the College of Medicine, with a preference to candidates who can participate in the FAU clinical practice
- Perform other duties as assigned
Doctoral degree (M.D. or D.O.) from an accredited institution and credentials that merit appointment at the rank of assistant professor or higher.
A Florida medical license and board certification in applicable specialty or eligibility for Florida licensure and board eligibility/certification is required.
The preferred candidate has an interest in providing care of patients in an academic setting. The ability to effectively communicate with different members of the healthcare system, as well as a variety of learners from a broad spectrum of backgrounds is required. Applicants with teaching experience with students/residents, experience with administrative organization/leadership in an academic institution or program, and/or clinical research/scholarship experience will be most competitive.
Demonstrates and supports a culture of inclusivity and belonging.
Passionate about working in an organization that values and promotes inclusivity and belonging.Salary:
Commensurate with ExperienceCollege or Department:
College of MedicineLocation:
Boca RatonWork Days and Hours:
2023-10-01Special Instructions to Applicant:
This position is open until filled and may close without prior notice.
This position is subject to funding.
All applicants must apply electronically to the currently posted position on the Office of Human Resources' job website (https://fau.edu/jobs) by completing the required employment application for this recruitment and submitting the related documents.
FAU’s Career Page permits the attachment of required/requested documentation.
PLEASE NOTE: A maximum of five (5) documents may be attached to your application. If more than five (5) documents are required for submission, please combine additional documents into a single attachment to not exceed the maximum permitted.
The site permits the attachment of required/requested documentation. When completing the online application, please upload the following: a cover letter, and curriculum vitae.
The selected candidate for this position is required to submit an official transcript sent directly from the institution for the Provost’s credential file prior to the first day of employment. Similarly, for degrees from outside the United States, the evaluation by an organization belonging to the National Association of Credential Evaluation (NACES), with an indication of the documents the evaluation was prepared from (official transcripts, diplomas, dissertation abstracts) is required for the Provost’s credential file prior to the first day of employment. Transcripts must be issued to Florida Atlantic University, not to the individual applicant.
Successful completion of a pre-employment background check is required for the candidate selected for this position.
As a Hispanic-serving institution, Florida Atlantic University (FAU) is one of the most racially and ethnically diverse institutions in the Florida state university system. We are committed to recruiting and retaining talented and diverse faculty and staff. We embrace our shared responsibility to create and celebrate a diverse, welcoming, inclusive, and equitable campus environment for all. Our community features excellent schools, a vibrant and safe community, and a sub-tropical climate conductive to year-round outdoor activities.
Individuals requiring accommodation, please call 561-297-3057. 711