The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America’s Best Large Employers in 2023.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.Posted Job Title
Temporary Clinical Genomic Data AnalystJob Profile Title
Temporary Employee - Non-ExemptJob Description Summary
Temporary Employee - Non-Exempt
Temporary Clinical Genomic Data Analyst needed to analyze and interpret genomic data from clinical samples of Undiagnosed Disease Network at Penn Medicine to support research and model organism analysis.Job Description
Temporary Employee - Non-Exempt
We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated Bioinformatics PhD with expertise in clinical genomic data analysis and interpretation. As a member of our team, you will play a crucial role in analyzing and interpreting genomic data from clinical samples of Undiagnosed Disease Network at Penn Medicine to support research and model organism analysis. Additionally, you will serve as a backup coordinator, ensuring study continuity and providing support in emergency situations when regular staff members are unavailable. In this capacity, you will also assist with Epic-related test ordering and billing reviews.
Clinical Genomic Data Analysis and Interpretation:
- Perform bioinformatics analysis of genomic data obtained from clinical samples, including next-generation sequencing (NGS) data, microarray data, and other relevant data types.
- Apply existing bioinformatics tools and algorithms to process, analyze, and interpret genomic data, ensuring high data quality and accuracy.
- Identify genetic variants and analyze their potential clinical significance, taking into account relevant databases and literature.
- Collaborate with clinical and research teams to provide insights into genomic findings, supporting the development of personalized treatment strategies.
Model Organism Analysis:
- Select variants of interest identified in clinical genomic data for analysis in model organisms, such as mice or zebrafish, to gain insights into biological mechanisms and disease processes.
- Collaborate with experimental biologists to integrate genomic and phenotypic data to identify causal variants and potential therapeutic targets.
- Ensure study continuity by stepping in as a backup coordinator during absences or emergencies.
- Providing support of the execution of research studies, including data collection, sample processing, and adherence to protocols.
- Collaborate with study teams to ensure data integrity and timely completion of tasks.
- Provide support for Epic-related activities, including test ordering and billing reviews, ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Study support for data analysis and manuscript preparation.
- PhD in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Genetics, or a related field.
- Strong background in clinical genomic data analysis and interpretation.
- Proficiency in utilizing bioinformatics tools for genomic data analysis.
- In-depth knowledge of relevant databases, genetic variation databases, and resources for variant annotation and interpretation.
- Familiarity with model organism research and analysis.
- Excellent programming skills in languages such as Python, R, or Perl.
- Experience with NGS data analysis, including variant calling, annotation, and visualization.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Effective communication and collaboration skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Familiarity with Epic systems and test ordering/billing processes (preferred).
- Knowledge of regulatory requirements related to clinical genomics (preferred).
Note: This job description is a general outline and may be subject to modifications and additional responsibilities based on the specific needs of the organization.
Please note, this is a temporary position contingent on need and continued availability of funding.Job Location - City, State
Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaDepartment / School
Perelman School of MedicinePay Range
$7.25 - $25.00 Hourly Rate
Salary offers are made based on the candidate’s qualifications, experience, skills, and education as they directly relate to the requirements of the position, as well as internal and market factors and grade profile. Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.Special Requirements
Background check may be required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.