PG192103EPInternal Recruitment :
Assistant/Associate Professor of Orthopedics (Small Animal)Anticipated Hiring Range:
Commensurate with Education and ExperienceWork Schedule:
Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm, subject to department needs.Job Location:
Raleigh, NCDepartment :
Clinical SciencesAbout the Department:
The Department of Clinical Sciences is dedicated to excellence in educating and training veterinarians and comparative biomedical scientists, furthering health care and wellness through discovery and clinical research, providing outstanding and compassionate medical care to a diverse range of animal patients, effectively engaging the animal-owning public, government and industry partners, and providing leadership in integrating biomedical sciences to advance One Health.Essential Job Duties:
North Carolina State University’s College of Veterinary Medicine (CVM) is a dynamic community whose members are dedicated to preparing veterinarians and veterinarian scientists while advancing animal and human health from the cellular level through entire ecosystems.
With over seventeen clinical services staffed by board certified specialists, many of whom are not only nationally but also internationally renowned, the NC State Veterinary Hospital (VH) is on the cutting edge of veterinary medicine. Patients benefit from the combined expertise of multiple specialists utilizing a team approach to patient health care.
Each year, nearly 22,000 patients are treated in the VH. The VH provides compassionate care, state of the art specialty health care, expert clinical instruction for 4th year veterinary students from CVM, and ongoing investigation of innovative techniques and procedures to further advance the field of veterinary medicine.
The service has 2 dedicated orthopaedic floor technicians and is supported by Orthopaedic Medicine, Rehabilitation, Anesthesia, ECC, Imaging, and other ancillary services. State-of-the-art facilities and equipment including 4K Arthrex arthroscopy, fluoroscopy, various locking plate systems including complete Arthrex Ortholine plating equipment, Imex ESF/ hybrid, ILOC, and BFX THR are all available. No after-hours emergency duties will be required.
The college is committed to practicing inclusivity, making community a priority and promoting innovation. We embrace effective leadership and we champion personal and professional growth.
The Department of Clinical Sciences at the NC State College of Veterinary Medicine is seeking a tenure track Assistant/Associate Professor of Orthopaedics.
The individual in this position will be a contributing member of the Surgery Section, with clinical duties within the Orthopaedic Surgery Service in the NC State Veterinary Hospital for approximately 35% of their time.
The incumbent will:
- Provide high quality effective and efficient patient care for, but not necessarily limited to, dogs and cats. Clinical responsibilities will entail all the duties associated with case management (client and referral veterinarian communication, development of a diagnostic and treatment plan, interpretation of diagnostic findings, implementation of a treatment plan, development of a home care plan, and fiscally responsible case management).
- Provide high quality clinical teaching for veterinary students and house officers, including house officers in other specialty services.
- Select and mentor resident(s) in the ACVS-approved residency training program.
- Assist with teaching selectives, electives, and core DVM course labs and didactic lectures to pre-clinical year DVM students, as requested.
- Lead an active research program that contributes to the advancement of knowledge in Veterinary Surgery, and/or Education through presentations and publications.
- Overall, the individual will be expected to be a positive and active member of the Department, the Surgery Section, and the Veterinary Hospital.
Perform other related duties as assigned.Minimum Education and Experience:
Other Required Qualifications:
- DVM or equivalent degree.
- Completion of a small animal surgery residency.
- American College of Veterinary Surgeons (ACVS) or the European College of Veterinary Surgeons (ECVS) board certification or eligibility for ACVS or ECVS exam is required.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills and a demonstrated ability to work with others in a collegial team atmosphere.
- Aptitude for and desire to teach and mentor veterinary students, house officers, and residents is required.
Required License(s) or Certification(s):
- ACVS or ECVS board certification
- Additional training in clinical techniques and/or pedagogy
Valid NC Driver's License required:
- Candidates must meet requirements for and maintain a veterinary license (or faculty certificate) in the State of North Carolina.
NoCommercial Driver's License required:
NoJob Open Date:
09/29/2022Anticipated Close Date:
Open until filled.Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please submit a CV, cover letter, and contact information for at least three (3) professional references.Position Number:
Tenured/Tenure-Track FacultyFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Mandatory - Medical EmergenciesDepartment ID:
195001 - Dept of Clinical SciencesAA/EEO:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran. Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process are welcome to contact 919-515-3148 to speak with a representative at the Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.