Assistant Coach-Baseball Tracking Code587-262Job Description
Muskegon Community College, an associate degree-granting institution of higher education, is a center for lifelong learning which provides persons the opportunity to attain their educational goals by offering programs that respond to individual, community, and global needs.
General Description: Assumes responsibility for a particular aspect of the sport as assigned by the Head Coach, planning short and long terms objectives under the leadership of the head coach, demonstrating technical expertise in the basics of the sport, and teaching the fundamentals, advanced level skills, and game strategies to student-athletes. Recruiting players including determining which schools to visit and which athletes to recruit, recommending the selection of team members, supervising practice sessions, scouting future opponents, providing expert advice to the head coach and team members, providing guidance or mentoring to student athletes throughout the academic year, and assisting with monitoring academic progress of participating student-athletes. Responsible for assisting with coaching, practice, conditioning, travel arrangements, and recruitment. Primary focus is on student athletes’ academic success and development.
This is a part-time coaching position.
Please note that individuals hired into this position will be employed by EDUStaff in contract with Muskegon Community College.
- High School Diploma required.
- Two years minimum coaching experience.
- Ability to recruit talented student athletes.
- College level teaching and coaching skills.
- Possess a strong knowledge & love of the sport.
- Knowledge of sport training and strategies.
- Demonstrated ability to project a positive and professional image in pressure situations
- Demonstrated character & values to represent MCC by leading, motivating, and mentoring Student Athletes
- Abide by the rules & regulations of the leagues in which you will be competing
- Successful candidate have strong inter-personal skills with a proven record of building rapport with culturally diverse students
- Demonstrated ability to relate to people of all ages, races, and social-economic backgrounds.
- Demonstrated history of dependability and punctuality.
- Ability to stay calm while working under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Highly motivated and solution oriented with a high degree of integrity, ethics and dedication to the mission of the College.
- Ability to demonstrate appropriate problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated excellence in both oral and written communication skills to transcend diverse audiences
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, staff, and outside persons.
- Demonstrated use of tact, judgment and discretion and the ability to maintain confidentiality when working with students, faculty/staff and others.
- Flexible scheduling to allow for evening and weekend work as scheduled by your supervisor.
- Possess a strong love of the sport which he/she is assisting.
- Capable of teaching collegiate level skills and knowledge to the student-athletes participating in his/her sport.
- Works well in an assisting position, but has the ability to assume responsibility if the need arises.
- Possess similar coaching philosophy as the head coach.
- Assist with needs so designated by head coach.
- Possess valid driver’s license for college vehicles.
- Providing moral support and encouragement and ensure the safety and well-being of the student-athletes.
- Be loyal and supportive of all sports of the Muskegon Community College Intercollegiate Program.
- Must be able to lift/push/pull 50 lbs. and stand for long periods of time.
- Successful candidate must possess strong inter-personal skills with a proven record of building rapport with culturally diverse students.
- Motivate students, and team while demonstrating problem solving capabilities with a high degree of integrity, ethics, and dedication to the mission of MCC.
- Communicate efficiently and relate well to the students, parents, faculty, staff, and others while maintaining appropriate confidentiality.
- Maintain, support, & encourage compliance with NJCAA Sportsmanship Policy.
- All other duties as assigned
Physical, Mental, and Environment Requirements Include:
☒ Detailed Work ☒ Student Contact
☐ Deadline oriented ☒ Problem Situations
☐ Multiple Priorities & Demands ☒ Emergency Situations
☒ Confidentiality ☐ On-call Availability
☐ Continual Interruptions ☐ Working Alone
☐ Faculty Contact ☒ Working with Others
☒ Standing & Walking ☒ Sitting
☒ Reclining ☐ Carrying
☐ Lifting up to 10 lbs. ☐ Up to 25 lbs. ☒ Up to 50 lbs. ☐ 80 + lbs.
☐ Pushing, Pulling, Twisting, Bending ☐ Climb or Balance
☐ Stoop, Kneel, Crouch, or Crawl ☐ Squatting
☐ Handle or Feel ☐ Reach with Hands and Arms
☒ Talking or hearing ☐ Tasting/Smelling
☐ Working Overhead ☒ Speak in English via Phone or In Person
☐ Close, Distance, Peripheral, and Color Vision along with Depth Perceptions
☒ Ability to Adjust and Focus
☐ Exposure to wet, humid conditions (non-weather), fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals; extreme heat/cold; and moderate to loud noise levels.
☒ Normal Office environment with little, if, any, discomfort due to heat, dust, noise and the like. Ability to travel to all campus locations required.
Job LocationMuskegon, Michigan, United StatesPosition TypePart-Time