Job no: 519432
Work type: Staff Part Time
Categories: Other Staff Positions
JOB TITLE: Adult Education Advisor-Part-time/Non Benefited (Grant Funded)
DIVISION: Academic Affairs
DEPARTMENT: Workers' Education Program
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS:
REPORTS TO: Director of Workers' Education Program
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION: The Adult Education Advisor provides advising and support services to Adult Education (AE) students in Adult Basic Education (ABE), including GED/HiSET, English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), and integrated skills training classes. The Advisor facilitates students’ career development by providing accurate information and equal opportunities to explore, evaluate, and access career pathway opportunities, postsecondary education, training, and employment options. The Advisor collaborates with the team and local partner agencies (education, workforce development, training, social services) to assist students with their goals. The Advisor/Instructor also administers and evaluates assessments.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Provides advising and support services to Workers’ Education Program students.
• Facilitates students’ career development, in collaboration with team and local partner agencies, by providing accurate information and equal opportunities to explore, evaluate, and access career pathway opportunities, postsecondary education, training, and employment options.
• Assists students to identify and remediate barriers to program access, participation, and completion, including referring to outside social service agencies as needed.
• Creates an advising environment that is welcoming and inclusive of diverse learning needs, identities, and cultures.
• Administers placement and standardized pre-and post-tests.
• Conducts orientations and returning student registration sessions.
• Maintains confidential student advising files.
• Participates in professional development activities.
• Completes any other duties as assigned by the Director.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree
EXPERIENCE: Previous (over one year) experience in counseling
OTHER: Ability to speak Spanish. Ability to evening hours
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
Excellent oral and written communication skills
Experience with MS Word and Excel
Ability to adapt teaching styles and materials to meet individual needs of students
Excellent interpersonal, cross cultural, and organizational skills.
Degree in counseling, education, or related field
Demonstrated (over 3 years) experience working in ABE field
Experience in counseling, preferably with adult learners
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional reference.
The review of applications will begin immediately.
Advertised: 20 Jul 2023 Eastern Daylight Time