Manager, Accounting - Special FundsRequisition Number:
Success starts at Community College of Philadelphia. Innovators and difference makers work at Community College of Philadelphia. Diversity thrives at Community College of Philadelphia. We are a college that is committed to promoting a work environment that attracts and retains talented and diverse faculty and staff. We challenge each other and ourselves to achieve at the highest level while contributing to the mission of the College and the betterment of Philadelphia. We value and support an intellectually dynamic community to prepare our students for global citizenship. Join us and become a part of a community that has long been and will continue to be generators of generational chance in this city and beyond.Specific Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Director the Manager, Accounting – Special Funds will supervise the daily operation of special fund accounting functions for Students Activities and Athletics, Scholarships and Student Aid (Title IV), Grants Current Restricted, Loan, Agency, Endowment Funds and the College Foundation with special emphasis on computerized financial systems and internal control processes. The Manager, Accounting – Special Funds assists the Director with regulatory compliance associated with certain financial aid programs and grant-funded activity, ensuring the accuracy of certain financial transactions, maintaining the integrity of financial records and reports, performing and overseeing general ledger account analysis, and participating in the preparation of certain monthly and year-end financial reports. This position works closely with departments such as the Office of Institutional Advancement, Financial Aid, Student Tuition Services, Human Resources, and other key program staff responsible for managing grants.
• Manage the daily operations and staff of the department to ensure accuracy of financial transactions and integrity of financial records and reports.Minimum Qualifications:
• Analyze, audit, and monitor all bank account reconciliations.
• Analyze and prepare monthly, quarterly, and final governmental financial reports and invoices.
• Provide leadership, direction, and guidance to direct reports.
• Maximize the effectiveness of the financial processes and systems as it relates to assigned areas of responsibilities.
• Ensure compliance with internal control requirements.
• Ensure regulatory compliance with external grant funding agencies.
• Maintain related financial records and reports in accordance with GASB requirements.
• Develop and administer grant budgets, Student Activities/Athletics and Foundation budgets.
• Assist financial managers and directors to monitor budgets and reconcile accounts.
• Administer and audit budget relief in the College’s unrestricted operating budget.
• Monitor financial compliance with regard to Student Financial Aid Title IV regulations related to reconciliation of COD, G5, student awards, and disbursement of funds.
• Implement Quarterly Effort Certificate Report for all Federal Grants.
• Ensure timely cash requests and returns for all Title IV funded programs including documentation to satisfy federal requirements.
• Provide financial status reporting to project directors.
• Ensure that financial records comply with current accounting standards and are maintained in a manner that permits an accurate, timely fiscal year close for the College.
• Prepare communications and assist with period and year-end closing.
• Support the preparation for internal and external audits of grant-funded projects.
• Responsible for various accounting processes including journal entries, account analysis, and reconciliation of the general ledger system, grants, and fixed asset modules. Assist with the preparation of various financial reports or inquiries.
• Perform purchasing card reconciliations and expense distributions.
• Assist with student refunds, detail codes, and fee assessment setup
• Develop and maintain collaborative working relationships with staff; supervision and related college organizational centers.
• Deliver quality customer services to both internal and external constituents in a professional helpful and courteous manner.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or related field required. Any and all degree(s) must be from a recognized institutional accreditor.Preferred Qualifications:
• A minimum of four (4) years experience in accounting, finance (financial analysis and financial management), and/or other directly relevant experience required.
• Strong problem-solving and communication skills required.
• Demonstrated proficiency using Microsoft Office 360 and enterprise-level software systems required.
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects concurrently under tight deadlines and changing priorities required.
• Skill and diplomacy in meeting and dealing with a variety of constituents, both internal and external required.
• Ability to deliver quality customer services to both internal and external constituents in a professional, helpful and courteous manner required.
• An understanding of, and sensitivity to, the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of community college staff and students required.
• Experience in not-for-profit accounting preferred.Work Location:
• Banner, Argos, and Tableau experience preferred.
• Work experience within a higher education environment preferred.
“Success Starts Here” is our message to the Philadelphia community – and at Community College of Philadelphia, we recognize that our success as a college and the success of our students starts with our employees. Our employees are vital to our success. Our total compensation package includes a comprehensive offer of benefits that are unrivaled by most.Our benefits include:
- 100% College-paid medical, dental and prescription drug for employees and all of their eligible family members
- College-paid life and disability insurance
- College closes for Winter Break the week between Christmas and New Years and for a week in March for Spring Break
- College operates on a 4-day work week during the summer months (off on Fridays)
- Most employees work from home one day each week
- Tuition remission (for classes at the College)
- Forgivable tuition loan (for classes at any accredited academic institution)
- 403(b) retirement plan with 10% College contribution
- Health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- Paid vacation plus holiday and personal time off
Community College of Philadelphia is an open-admission, associate-degree-granting institution which provides access to higher education for all who may benefit. Its programs of study in the liberal arts and sciences, career technologies, and basic academic skills provide a coherent foundation for college transfer, employment and lifelong learning. The College serves Philadelphia by preparing its students to be informed and concerned citizens, active participants in the cultural life of the city, and enabled to meet the changing needs of business, industry and the professions. To help address broad economic, cultural and political concerns in the city and beyond, the College draws together students from a wide range of ages and backgrounds and seeks to provide the programs and support they need to achieve their goals.
Community College of Philadelphia is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.Special Instructions to Applicants:
Salary Grade or Rank:
- Interested persons should complete an online application.
- Cover letter of interest and CV/resume REQUIRED.
- Name and contact information for three (3) references REQUIRED.
- Employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of background checks in accordance with the Pennsylvania Child Protective Services Law.
- Must be legally eligible to work in the U.S. Community College of Philadelphia is an affirmative action, equal opportunity and equal access employer.
$62,672 - $Job Posting Open Date:
05/01/2023Type of Position:
AdministratorEmployment Status :