Operations Manager (5195U) - 55655
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
At UC Berkeley, we believe that learning is a fundamental part of working, and our goal is for everyone on the Berkeley campus to feel supported and equipped to realize their full potential. We actively support this by providing all of our staff employees with at least 80 hours (10 days) of paid time per year to engage in professional development activities. To find out more about how you can grow your career at UC Berkeley, visit grow.berkeley.edu
With recent changes to diversify its course offerings and its major requirements, along with renewed interest in the value of study in the Arts and Humanities, the Department of Music is rapidly growing. We are serving a larger and more diverse body of students, and more Music majors, than ever before.
The Department of Music's Operations Manager has primary responsibility for the maintenance, scheduling and operation (including scheduling and security) of Morrison Hall, secondary responsibility for the maintenance and operation of Hertz Hall, primary responsibility for the care and management of the Department's inventory of music instruments, including the acquisition of new instruments and the disposal of old instruments, primary responsibility for management of the Departments information technology, and supports the Financial Services Analyst for complex procurements (especially concerning musical supplies and equipment).
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 08/03/2023.
Responsibilities Facilities Maintenance
Instrument and Other Equipment Management
- In consultation with department leadership, plans and coordinates building infrastructure upgrades.
- Represents Department of Music to other campus groups -- Facilities Asset Manager, College of Letters & Sciences facilities team -- to facilitate and oversee larger maintenance projects.
- Coordinates emergency repairs during and after work hours to ensure minimal disruption of Departmental activities.
- Manages all maintenance, custodial, grounds, and other service requests of Facilities Services as well as other outside vendors or organizations, ensuring completion of needed work.
- Tracks Department's inventory of instruments, including status of loans and rentals.
- Arranges for the repair of instruments (some valued at $500,000 or more) as warranted; submits insurance claims when appropriate.
- Acquires new instruments as necessary and arranges for the proper disposition of instruments no longer needed.
Facilities Safety and Security
- Recommends facilities-related procedures and solutions, taking into account budgets, space allocation, staffing and infrastructure design.
- Works with staff to implement, streamline and otherwise improve standard department-wide business processes.
- Schedules room and equipment use in Morrison Hall and occasional use of rehearsal spaces in Hertz Hall.
- Resolves conflicting or irregular space needs.
- Manages rentals of Morrison Hall facilities, from customer inquiries to collection of payment.
Facilities Improvements (Morrison Hall, Hertz Hall)
- Maintains building related plans and procedures including access controls and security, emergency preparedness, commonly-encountered hazardous materials storage and disposal, crime prevention activities, fire safety inspection compliance and reporting.
- Serves as primary Building Coordinator for campus emergency/ disaster preparedness for Morrison Hall and as backup Building Coordinator for Hertz Hall; prepares emergency response plans and coordinates education and planning in this area for all building occupants.
- Acts as Music's representative to campus safety committee, campus building emergency committee, and campus ergonomic program, and ensures departmental compliance with OSHA/EH&S regulations, state and campus policies and procedures.
- Serves as the departmental "Access Controller" for all Music buildings, maintaining accurate records of all access control activities, ensuring timely activation/deactivation of individuals' access to Department facilities, and overseeing the issue and collection of room keys.
Information Technology Management
- Represents Department of Music to other campus groups -- Capital Projects, Facilities Asset Manager, College of Letters & Sciences facilities team -- to facilitate and oversee improvement projects.
- Works with facilities to ensure specifications for renovation projects meet departmental needs including ensuring required specifications.
- Coordinates with facilities repair/renovation crews to mitigate disruption of Music Department activities during maintenance and improvement projects.
- Develops systems solutions -- development of complex spreadsheets, databases, web-based systems -- to complex department processes.
- Maintains and supports the Department's inventory of computers, office equipment, etc.
- Provides resolution of basic computer issues for faculty and staff, referring complex issues to ITCSS.
- Provides support for instructional A/V systems when the Departments A/V technician is unavailable.
- Supports the Financial Services Analyst for complex procurements, especially those concerning musical supplies and equipment.
- Drawing on knowledge of the music industry and copyright law, ensures legal compliance.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Interpersonal skills including good service orientation and effective problem solving.
- Extensive knowledge of the use, care and maintenance of musical instruments, especially pianos and orchestral instruments.
- Knowledge in the areas of building operations and maintenance, including space planning, capacity, security, safety, and emergency preparedness.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize daily activities effectively.
- Bachelor's degree in music or music education and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Knowledge of architectural or engineering concepts.
- Experience as a performing musician or music educator.
- Advanced degree in music or music education and/or equivalent experience/training.
Salary & Benefits
This is a 100% full-time (40 hrs a week) exempt career position, which is paid monthly and eligible for full UC Benefits.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University, please visit the University of California's Compensation & Benefits
Under California law, the University of California, Berkeley is required to provide a reasonable estimate of the compensation range for this role and should not offer a salary outside of the range posted in this job announcement. This range takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to experience, skills, knowledge, abilities, education, licensure and certifications, analysis of internal equity, and other business and organizational needs. It is not typical for an individual to be offered a salary at or near the top of the range for a position. Salary offers are determined based on final candidate qualifications and experience.
The budgeted salary or hourly range that the University reasonably expects to pay for this position is $67,000.00 - $84,400.00.
How to Apply
- To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter.
- This is not a visa opportunity.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant, please see the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy, please see the University of California Discrimination, Harassment, and Affirmative Action in the Workplace
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=55655&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency