School: School of Mathematics and Physics.
Department: Department of Financial and Actuarial Mathematics
Position: Faculty [Open Rank]
Location: Suzhou, China
Contract Type: Fixed-term, renewable. 3rd contract is open-ended
In 2006 Xi an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) was created by the University of Liverpool and Xi an Jiaotong University a top ten university in China. Offering a unique international education experience, XJTLU brings together excellent research practice and expertise from both institutions and gives students the skills and knowledge they need to secure careers in a global marketplace. XJTLU now has over 25,000 enrolled students in both Suzhou and Liverpool in the UK, with plans to grow to about 28,000 students by 2025. There are currently about 2,000 staff, among which about 1,000 academic staff, with an almost even split between citizens of the People s Republic of China and international passport holders. XJTLU offers our undergraduates and postgraduates over 100 programmes with a diverse spectrum of courses.
XJTLU is entering a new and exciting phase of its development as part of its strategic priorities for the next ten years. Adopting a new higher education model based on the concept of Syntegrative Education (SE), XJTLU is currently opening a new Entrepreneurial Education site in Taicang, part of wider Suzhou, where the Entrepreneur College (Taicang) is located. The Taicang site will be a pioneer of, and educational model for, the future campus in addressing challenges arising from the 4th Industrial Revolution. Other new initiatives include new working partnerships with Xi an Jiaotong University, the continued development of the four new Academies, and exploration of further potential locations to develop the SE model.
With a focus on innovative learning and teaching, and research, XJTLU draws on the strengths of its parent universities, and plays a pivotal role in facilitating access to China for UK and other institutional partners. At same time, XJTLU is exploring future education by blending the educational theory, best practice and culture from west and east.
For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn.
ABOUT DEPARTMENT OF FINANCIAL AND ACTUARIAL MATHEMATICS
The Department of Financial and Actuarial Mathematics (FAM) is devoted to education and research for undergraduate and postgraduate students in the financial and actuarial fields.
Department of Financial and Actuarial Mathematics (FAM) is a friendly and academic-inspiring hub for researchers, educators, students in financial mathematics, actuarial science, and statistics. Our department is a well-established education centre for financial mathematics and actuarial science at the undergraduate and graduate levels. The department has diversified research areas with focus on financial mathematics, actuarial science, statistics and probability. The department also provide PhD degree education in these research areas.
- Conduct high-quality research as shown by publications in leading journals.
- Actively pursue external research funding.
- Supervise PhD students, Master and undergraduate student projects.
- Teach undergraduate and postgraduate students in English.
- Contribute to the functioning of the department and school.
The successful candidate is expected to deliver lectures and tutorials in the areas such as financial mathematics, quantitative finance, risk quantification, financial risk management, machine learning/AI in finance or similar areas depending on the evolving needs of the department. The successful candidates are also expected to supervise undergraduate and graduate students in research and contribute to the university in terms of service and administration. The work load in teaching and administration is comparable to other research led universities. Successful candidates are also expected to apply for internal and external funding opportunities.
- Self-motivated and being able to motivate others;
- Effective communication skills;
- Strong team player;
- Proactive and flexible;
- Able to work in an environment where diversity and inclusiveness is appreciated
- Candidates must hold a PhD degree from a reputable doctoral program.
- For early career candidates, we expect to recruit the candidates with promising research and teaching potential.
- Candidates for the position of Associate Professor should have a strong track record in teaching and academic supervision, as well as an international research profile in their fields and a successful record of research funding.
- Fluency in English.
- Experience in conducting research supported by national-level research funds.
- Experience in academic programme design and development.
- Experience in supervision of PhD student projects.
- International Professional qualifications/membership recognized in Financial and Insurance Industry.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS
Employment at Xi an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work visa in the P.R. China.
- Clear career development path with annual review.
- Professional development trainings are provided.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
SALARY: Competitive salary in the market
- Allowance: XJTLU provide various month/annual/one-off allowances as
- Housing allowance
- Travel allowance
- Kids education allowance
- Relocation allowance
- Commercial insurance: international insurance plans customized for XJTLU staff and family members. (details refer to the University Policy)
- Paid holidays:
- Statutory Holidays (11 days)
- Annual Leave (36 days)
- Family Matters Leave
- Paid Sick Leave
- Marriage Leave
- Paternity Leave
- Parental Leave
- Working visa and residence permit in China:
- XJTLU sponsors working visa and residence permit in China for the staff.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application on our university website
Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact Details for Three References
For specific enquiries relating to the position, please email Head of Department, Prof. Conghua Wen at Conghua.firstname.lastname@example.org . Informal enquiries may be addressed to HR at Mingwei.Sun@xjtlu.edu.cn .