: Adjunct FacultySubscribe:
: Des Plaines and Skokie, ILPosted:
: Jul 5, 2023Closes:
: Open Until FilledType:
: CoachesRef. No.:
: PTVOL-23Position ID:
About Oakton College :
Oakton College, a caring community of educators dedicated to excellence in teaching and learning, seeks one Assistant Women's Volleyball Coach to join our College. Applicants must be strong communicators and effective classroom facilitators who enjoy teaching in a student-centered environment.
Candidates with a commitment to working in a culturally competent environment are especially valued at Oakton.
We encourage applications from candidates who reflect the increasing diversity of Oakton's student body and community, who will enhance and promote engagement with other cultures, and have a demonstrated commitment to working with and as part of a multicultural faculty and diverse student body and community.
Located seventeen miles from downtown Chicago, Oakton serves northern Cook County with campuses in Des Plaines and Skokie, Illinois.
Basic Function and Responsibility:
Under direct supervision, provide support to the Head Women's Volleyball Coach and the volleyball program through match coaching, player and team skill development and recruitment and retention of academically and athletically prepared students. Support activities of the volleyball program within the rules and guidelines of the NJCAA, the Illinois Skyway Collegiate Conference and the college. Demonstrate a sound and committed educational philosophy for holistic student development including academic, athletic and personal. Support the mission and philosophy of the college.
Characteristics Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assist the Head Coach planning and conducting in season and off season team practice and conditioning programs.
2. Assist the Head Coach and players during game play.
3. Assist individual players in volleyball skill development through skills training and weight and conditioning training.
4. Assist in the identification and recruitment of new players to the program. This may include traveling to regional high school and club volleyball events and volleyball showcases.
5. Assist in the scheduling of volleyball practices and matches, including arranging transportation, driving a team vehicle, securing funds for travel, making travel arrangements, etc.
6. Represent the Athletic Department and the Women's Volleyball program on college committees or task forces and at college events and/or other public meetings.
7. Communicate as necessary with the other Illinois Skyway Collegiate Conference and NJCAA Region IV Volleyball Coaches.
8. Participate in Athletic Coaches professional development including annual training in NJCAA regulations, CPR, AED usage, Blood Born Pathogen, Exercise Induced Asthma and use of Epi-Pen.
9. Secure and maintain certification in First Aid and CPR/AED required.
10. Assist the Athletic Department in the academic support of student athletes as well as the facilitation of academic support activities including the collection of academic progress reports.
11. Perform other job duties as assigned.
Administrative supervision is received from the Senior Manager of Athletics and direct supervision is received from the Head Women's Volleyball Coach.
Functional supervision exercised of the Women's Volleyball team members, managers and student employees.
Qualifications and Working Conditions:
1. An associate's degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable skills and abilities can be obtained is required. A bachelor's degree is preferred.
2. One year of volleyball coaching experience as a head or assistant coach at the college, high school, club or travel team levels is required. Collegiate coaching experience preferred.
3. Collegiate level playing experience preferred.
4. Knowledge of NJCAA/NCAA/NAIA rules and regulations is preferred.
6. Excellent interpersonal, organizational, planning and leadership skills and positive role model for young adults is expected.
7. Ability to work independently in an unstable and chaotic environment desired.
8. Valid Class "D" driver's license required.
9. Work performed in different environments including interior/office work areas, gymnasiums and outdoor areas.
10. Work will required significant physical effort associated with coaching and teaching volleyball skills and techniques. The work will also require the lifting and movement of equipment up to 50 pounds
11. Limited exposure to physical risk
12. Regional travel required with occasional extended out of state travel for post season competition.
Two volleyball related references required
Part-time faculty are paid on a lecture hour equivalents (LHE) basis. For most courses, the LHE is the same as a credit hour. For others, the LHE represents additional work for teaching the class, such as grading papers for Composition classes or teaching a class with a laboratory section (computers, languages, and the sciences); in those cases, the LHE represents a figure higher than the credit hour. All part-time faculty start at the beginning pay rates, regardless of the level and type of experience obtained elsewhere. Those rates for the 2022-23 academic year are $1173/LHE for faculty without doctorates and $1243/LHE for faculty with doctorates
Part-time faculty advance one step within the salary schedule with the successful completion of 2 fall & spring semesters where 3+ LHEs are taught in each semester.
Part-time faculty are hired on a semester-by-semester basis. A reasonable effort is made to assure the assignment of courses to more senior part-time faculty who are fully qualified by virtue of their education, training, work experience as related to current technology and pedagogical techniques, and who have had a history of successful performance at Oakton College.
All assignments are conditioned on sufficient enrollment. Once a course starts, the part time faculty member is expected to complete the course.
Please contact Matthew Robitaille at email@example.com if you have any questions or experience problems in submitting your application.
Oakton is accessible by public transportation.
Required documents for a complete application file include a completed applicant questionnaire, cover letter, resume/cv, official transcripts for the hiring credential, and 2 original, signed recommendation letters or college placement/credential file.
Interested applicants must submit their application, cover letter and resume/cv on the Oakton website. Please indicate the position code (PTVOL-23) on the cover letter.
Recommendation letters may either be submitted with original signature or e-mailed directly from the reference to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Transcripts may either be submitted on official paper or as pdf copies of official transcripts e-mailed directly from the Registrar's Office to email@example.com.
Transcripts and recommendation letters are required prior to appointment.
Official transcripts and original letters of recommendation or college placement/credential file should be mailed to: Faculty Search PTVOL-23, c/o Department of Human Resources, Oakton College, 1600 E. Golf Rd., Des Plaines, IL 60016.
Oakton College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.
Posted positions may be removed from the Oakton website without notice when it is determined that no additional applicants are required.