External Applicants: Please upload your resume on the Apply screen. Your application will automatically populate your resume details, and you may verify and update data on the My Information page.
Please add your cover letter and any other documents required for the position to the Resume/CV document upload section at the bottom of the My Experience application page. Use the Select Files button to add multiple documents including your cover letter and supporting documents. The My Experience page is the only opportunity to add your cover letter and supporting document attachments. You will not be able to modify your application after you submit it.
Current Employees: Apply from your existing Workday account. Do not apply from the website. Log in to Workday. Click on the Career Worklet and select Find Jobs. Locate the position and click Apply. Update your Education and Job History.
** Cover letter required for all positions and optional for facilities, campus services, and hospitality positions unless otherwise specified.Job Description Summary
As an instructional designer in the Office of Online Education you will collaborate and lead teams of faculty and staff in designing high-quality online and blended learning experiences across schools, programs, and departments at Wake Forest University. Working closely with faculty and staff colleagues you will consult on instructional activities; evaluate educational technologies and teaching practices; manage course design projects; collaborate with faculty on the design and delivery of their courses; design faculty development experiences; and contribute to related work on special projects as needed.Job Description
Project Management and Course Design (60%)
- Ensure instructional integrity of the course development projects through a method of systematic design and clear course standards and objectives.
- Provide recommendations for interface design, sequencing of instruction, use of assessments, and online interactive activities.
- Serve as project manager for online and blended course development, coordinating course teams including instructors, relevant academic support staff, and multimedia specialists.
- Build out learner-friendly course experiences using Wake Forest’s online course platforms and learning technologies.
- Support faculty during the delivery of their online courses, identifying and resolving instructional issues that occur while a course or project is active.
- Identify and develop instructional best practices for online and blended learning environments.
- Contribute to a transparent and equitable organizational culture where ethical and equity policies and practices are understood and lived out by all staff.
Consulting and Evaluation (30%)
- Consult with faculty on the effective use of instructional design strategies, web-based resources, multimedia technologies, and instructional software to improve teaching for online delivery.
- Research and evaluate new and emerging technologies, instructional design theories, and approaches and policies for potential application to instructional opportunities.
- Evaluate the instructional effectiveness of programs, courses, and training products using new and existing standards.
Faculty Development and Special Projects (10%)
- Support constituent groups served by online education at the university through training, on-demand help guides, and secondary technical support.
- Propose and contribute to special projects that support educational goals of various schools or programs and align with the Office’s work on campus.
Required Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- A bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline (i.e., education, instructional design, learning sciences, curriculum and planning, educational technology, design thinking, etc.) and at least 2-4 years of relevant experience.
- Two or more years professional experience in instructional design, user experience design, online education, teaching, or a related field that applies educational theories in the creation of equitable experiences in digital environments.
- Demonstrated ability in at least one Learning Management System and additional learning technologies relevant to online instruction in higher education.
- Strong and comprehensive oral, written, and interpersonal skills that enable one to collaborate effectively with multiple constituencies in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment.
Preferred Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- A master’s degree in relevant discipline (i.e., education, instructional design, learning sciences, curriculum and planning, educational technology, design thinking, etc.) and five years of relevant experience.
- Experience conducting quality assurance reviews around the design and delivery of new and existing online courses using internal or external standards.
- Experience learning or teaching programming languages.
- Intermediate or advanced skills in website design, graphic design, analytics software, or video editing and production.
- Cross-disciplinary training in higher education learning environments.
Additional Job DescriptionTime Type Requirement
- Responsible for own work.
Full timeNote to Applicant:
This position profile identifies the key responsibilities and expectations for performance. It cannot encompass all specific job tasks that an employee may be required to perform. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and perform job-related duties as may be reasonably assigned by his/her supervisor.In order to provide a safe and productive learning and living community, Wake Forest University conducts background investigations and drug screens for all final staff candidates being considered for employment.Wake Forest seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce while promoting an inclusive work environment committed to excellence in the spirit of Pro Humanitate. In adherence with applicable laws and as provided by University policies, the University prohibits discrimination in its employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, genetic information, disability and veteran status and encourages qualified candidates across all group demographics to apply.