Security Sensitive Position?:
YesHours of Work:
TSU202895Official TSU Title:
Health Information Management Adjunct InstructorGrant Title:
N/AJob Description Summary / TWC Summary:
The Joan M. Lafleur College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Health Information Management Program, at Texas Southern University is seeking qualified and experienced individuals to teach as Adjunct Faculty. Under the direction of the department chair and the HIM Program Director, the Adjunct Faculty will be responsible for conducting lectures, supervising laboratory work, grading assignments and examinations, and providing support to students in the classroom setting. There is no research or service expectation in this position.Essential Duties Summary:
- On a part-time basis, conduct, teach and manage online HIM students within assigned undergraduate courses
- May serve as an academic advisor for students and evaluate student coursework
- Engage in weekly communications with HIM full-time faculty
- Engage in other assigned activities that support teaching responsibilities
- Review and respond in a timely manner to any other University-related communications (as appropriate)
Commensurate with experience.Education:
Master’s degree in any related health information discipline (e.g. health informatics, health information management, MBA, healthcare administration)Required Licensing/Certification:
RHIA- Registered Health Information Administrator certification requiredKnowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Valid Texas Driver’s License preferred
Adjunct instructors must:
- Possess a deep understanding of the subject they will be teaching. They must be able to explain complex concepts in a clear and concise manner and provide real-world examples to help students understand the material.
- Be able to develop and implement effective lesson plans, prepare, and deliver lectures, and facilitate classroom discussions. They must also be able to assess student learning and provide constructive feedback.
- Establish positive relationships with students, colleagues, and staff. They must be approachable, supportive, and respectful of diverse backgrounds and learning styles.
- Be familiar with technology and comfortable using it in the classroom. They must be able to use learning management systems, online communication tools, and other technology to support student learning.
- Manage their time effectively to meet the demands of teaching, grading, and other administrative tasks. They must be able to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
- Maintain a high level of professionalism. They must adhere to college policies and procedures, maintain confidentiality of student information, and be committed to providing a positive learning environment for all students.
- Detail oriented.
- Problem-solving and decision-making.
- Multitasking and time management.
- Coordinating the work of others.
- Both verbal and written communication.
- Work independently.
- Prepare detailed reports.
- Communicate effectively.
- AHIMA credential -Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) or Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT)
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
- Online teaching experience
- At least 3- 5 years of health information management experience
- Current relevant healthcare industry experience
- Online course development experience
- Excellent time management and written communication skills
UA EEO Statement:
- Limited standing and/or walking.
- Handling light weight objects.
- Using or carrying equipment.
It is the policy of Texas Southern University to provide a work environment that is free from discrimination for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, individuals with disability, sexual orientation, or protected veteran status in its programs, activities, admissions or employment policies. This policy of equal opportunity is strictly observed in all University employment-related activities such as advertising, recruiting, interviewing, testing, employment training, compensation, promotion, termination, and employment benefits. This policy expressly prohibits harassment and discrimination in employment based on race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, genetic history, national origin, individuals with disability, age, citizenship status, or protected veteran status. This policy shall be adhered to in accordance with the provisions of all applicable federal, state and local laws, including, but not limited to, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act. Open Until Filled (overrides close field) :
Manual of Administrative Policies and Procedures
YesSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
Open to all applicants.