Late Night Cook
Grand Forks, North Dakota, United StatesAdd to favoritesFavorited View favoritesSalary/Position Classification
Purpose of Position
- $16.19+ ($2.00) shift differential, Non-Exempt (Eligible for overtime)
- 40 hours per week (3:30pm - 12:00am)
- 100% Remote Work Availability: No
- Hybrid Work Availability: No
The purpose of this position is to prepare food for service to customers following all departmental policies and procedures in a safe and sanitary manner. The position will prepare food using batch cooking and display cooking techniques. This position also works closely with training of part-time and student employees and assumes a leadership role in the absence of a lead cook.Duties & Responsibilities
- Prepares products for service to customers
- Prepares and cooks dishes accompaniments according to the computerized production recipes/reports.
- Does Display/Cook-to-Order food preparation as directed.
- Slices and weighs serving portions of meats, cheeses, etc.
- Prepares menu items for assigned catered functions.
- Creatively garnishes serving lines, buffets, and serving plates in order to make attractive presentations.
- Uses the following equipment including but not limited to grills, meat slicer, food chopper, steam equipment, fryers, ovens, calculator and scales
- Is aware of all meal schedules.
- Prepares food to meet all meal deadlines and maintains the highest quality and freshness possible using progressive cooking techniques.
- Attends food and dining services meetings as directed.
- Responds to customer questions and concerns appropriately and accurately.
- Interacts positively with customers when display cooking and when in service areas.
- Promotes the healthy lifestyle initiatives.
- Work with the preparation and disposal of fish, poultry, beef, lamb, pork and other meat products
- Follows the proper sanitation techniques used in the business
- Use thermometers in the process of achieving the proper temperatures for the various products, record temperatures, and check on products being held to ensure safe temperatures, record temperatures for the coolers and freezer and advise supervisor if temperature requirements are not met
- Use the proper procedures to clean and to sanitize the various work areas and the large and small equipment used in production.
- Keep self-clean, use proper hand washing techniques, wear clean uniform and hair and beard restraint, avoid direct contact with food if at all possible and use gloves and utensils when possible.
- Use the proper procedures in the storage of food, cover, date and label food, chill food rapidly using an approved method.
- Use proper sanitation/production procedures in the production of products in order to avoid contamination (cross contamination with cutting boards, knives, etc.), minimize the duration products are in the danger temperature zone, reduce direct contact with hand, minimize reheating products to one time using an approved method and not to combine older product into fresh.
- Stay current on sanitation techniques and processing affecting the work.
- Learn the hazard analysis critical control points procedures and practice these.
- Reports equipment in need of repair to the Lead Cook and/or Management staff
- Completes the ServSafe food safety class.
- Follows UND Dining Services HACCP policies and procedures.
- Adhere to all safety and sanitation policies which include removal of all jewelry and piercings (a plain wedding band is permissible) and wearing hair and beard restraints.
- Maintains and completes side work duties.
- Completes required food production paperwork
- Checks food supplies for the following production schedules.
- Helps in the menu development of specialty menus.
- Records production on the service summary sheets accurately and efficiently.
- Assists with the standardization of recipes.
- Assists with inventory
- Supervisory duties for part –time and student employees
- Provides instruction for part-time and student staff assisting in assigned production.
- Assumes leadership of production area in absence of lead cook
- Strong communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Requires knowledge of food production and working knowledge of large quantity food service and knowledge of materials, equipment and food in business.
- Must be able to move 45-50 pounds and stand 3 to 4 hours on their feet.
- Ability to read and comprehend reports and basic math skills to complete reports.
- Self-motivated with the ability to direct and lead others, work with diverse staff of students.
- Have an optimistic attitude, willingness to learn new skills, high degree of integrity, and a strong work ethic.
- Food production experience
- Successful completion of a criminal history records check
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the US and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. This position does not support visa sponsorship for continued employment.Preferred Qualifications
- Two-year experience in large-volume food production and experience with catered events
- One-year experience in short-order grill production and/or display cooking.
- NRA Serv Safe Certification
- General computer knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook)
- Progressive supervisory experience with all age groups